Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Losing water fast.....

Old 04-14-2009, 08:41 PM
Bleeds FORD Blue

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Losing water fast.....

The past couple weeks, well, since I replaced my oil filter adapter, Ive been leaking water. It started slow, and I had an antifreeze smell before I replaced this adapter, so i kinda figured i didnt have any water dripping out of that. But I kept an eye on it. Well the other day, I found a small water spot on the floor in my garage, So i did some investigating and found antifreeze on my tow hook on the passenger side. I popped the hood, and found that the top right corner of my radiator is all wet with antifreeze. I went oh F$$%! So what does this mean?? Ive never seen water leaking from a spot like this. Is this a cracked radiator? Im not 100% positive, but I dont think its leaking from the upper hose. Im gonna check again tomorrow, but anyone have any ideas??
Thanks for the help!
Old 04-14-2009, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask some of your friends and find out if any of them have a pressure tester(pump that screws on to coolant resevoir to pressurize system) this will help you find your leak as it's likely only leaking under pressure. It's very possible for your radiator to have a cracked core or puncture wound. If this is the case if you know a good radiator shop and ask them if they would recommend fixing it or getting a new one.

Usually we fix radiators in our heavy equimpent because they are about 2-3 times more expensive than your average car radiator, but with your radiator it may not be worth the time and effort to repair yours compared to getting a new one. Besides if you fix yours it may spring a leak 15"s a way from that one the next day(find the next weak spot)
Old 04-14-2009, 09:13 PM
Bleeds FORD Blue

Ya, Im a salesman at a local ford dealership, so I was gonna bring it into service one of these days soon. But even at cost, it would probably be pretty spendy to put a new radiator in. I still may have them scope it just to find out how bad the damage is. Thanks for the knowledge man
Old 04-14-2009, 10:21 PM
Bleeds FORD Blue

K, next question......I know water is to an engine as water is to ourselves, but what if I dont go with the factory replacement radiator? I just dont have that kind of money, and thats a lot of mula for a factory radiator. And thats through a ford parts website, which is usually cheaper than going into the dealership. And I know my discount wont hardly put a dent in the price. I found some other ones that say OEM fit, and made in the USA, for a little less, with some being 2 year warranty, and some being a lifetime warranty. Im neot even sure completly if its actually a hole or crack in the radiator, but Im just getting some options. and I did notice that the leak does only happen when its under pressure. Again, I will check the hoses in the morning, but if I have to, I will buy a new radiator, and put it in myself(with the help of my father)
Old 04-15-2009, 02:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used aftermarket Radiators for years with good luck.. usually they are all built to factory specs if its meant for just that one vehicle and this is what i would recommend. ask the parts guy at your dealership what type of warranty they offer. I'd bet its not any better than a one year if that. you'll be just fine using a aftermarket.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:32 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey Cole, how is the new job doing? Don't remember if you're in sales or service writing. As you know, I'm an OEM type of person, but have always installed Modine radiators with out a glitch.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:37 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Another thought to go with what thunder said. Try changing the location of the upper hose clamp. Sometimes they are installed a hair off line and are actually half on and half off the the beading on the radiator neck. They need to be on the flat portion of the neck not on the beading.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Bleeds FORD Blue

Hey Bill, thanks for remembering, and asking. The jobs going well so far. Some days a little slower than others, but not bad. Im in sales. And thanks for the tip about radiators guys. Im going to check out where its leaking from this morning, since its my day off.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:53 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Most of the time Aftermarket Radiators are surplus factory items. 90% dealers have to use aftermarkets ones cause they dont continue to build parts for the vehicle.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:22 PM
Bleeds FORD Blue

AAHHH, okay. Just an update. I took a look at it quick(even on my day off I have to go into work), and I may pull the fan shroud off to get a better look, but there is antifreeze puking out of the fins on the passenger side. Its not spraying out, but its a slow drip. The main leak looks to be about an inch long. thats where the main drips seem to be. Then it spreads out from there, to about 4X4 inch square, and continues to drip down the radiator. Its leaking enough though to leave a few quarter size puddles on the garage floor when I park it. I think its leaking more than just in that spot.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Losing water fast.....