Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

looking for a tuner (gas mileage, and towing)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 10:15 PM
team ramrod

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default looking for a tuner (gas mileage, and towing)

Hey guys, im looking for a tuner for my 2000 5.4, i know this might be a beat to death topic but my search turned up a bunch of useless info and mile long threads.

any way im wanting more towing power and a gas saving tune would be nice.

any suggestions would be great, even useful thread links any info at all would be nice.

thanks guys
Old 11-21-2014, 10:37 PM
F150Forum Sponsor - SCT Dealer! 614 620-5050

Received 1,084 Likes on 877 Posts

Primary purpose of any tuner is more horsepower and torque and secondary benefit is fuel mpg but you will affect yor gas more by HOW you drive, size of tires, ect ext then just adding a tuner would typically. SCT and edge are the most popular two brands for the f series and would be looking at about 22-25 rwhp gains on a tune for the 5.4
Old 11-23-2014, 09:43 AM
Looking for a Henway.

Received 369 Likes on 301 Posts

If you even get any MPG improvement, it will take a long, long time to make up for the $250+ cost of the tuner.

As for performance, the 91/93 tunes are the ones that actually give you more power, but at the cost of higher fuel prices (making it even harder to justify buying one for improved MPG/fuel cost).

I have an 87 octane performance tune with street shifting (firmer shifting than stock) from MPT on a SCT x3. My total cost was $250 ($200 for a used tuner and $50 for the tune). My review on it.

I see no MPG difference so far with mine (but only 1 tankful), but some with the higher octane tunes say they do have a little improvement (again, minimal gain, at the cost of higher fuel prices).

When I was debating what tune to get, everything I read about the 10th gen truck says that any "economy" tune is worthless.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:44 PM
team ramrod

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blupupher
If you even get any MPG improvement, it will take a long, long time to make up for the $250+ cost of the tuner.

As for performance, the 91/93 tunes are the ones that actually give you more power, but at the cost of higher fuel prices (making it even harder to justify buying one for improved MPG/fuel cost).

I have an 87 octane performance tune with street shifting (firmer shifting than stock) from MPT on a SCT x3. My total cost was $250 ($200 for a used tuner and $50 for the tune). My review on it.

I see no MPG difference so far with mine (but only 1 tankful), but some with the higher octane tunes say they do have a little improvement (again, minimal gain, at the cost of higher fuel prices).

When I was debating what tune to get, everything I read about the 10th gen truck says that any "economy" tune is worthless.
That's kind of what I figured about the mpg's. I'm really looking to help the towing power.
I will be taking my body lift off soon as I have time and dropping back to 285's instead of the 315's I have now to help the old girl a little but I feel like it's not going to help as much as I'd like. I've already rebuilt motor and trans and have a shift plate and HD torque converter in it but I feel like it needs a little more power to benefit the trans upgrades.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:54 PM
Looking for a Henway.

Received 369 Likes on 301 Posts

Seems everyone that gets a package deal with their tuners (usually 3 tunes with the pruchase of a tuner) gets an 87 performance, then a 89/93 tow and 93 performance.
I have not really seen any reviews of tow tunes for these trucks. I know the diesel guys like them (but that is not an apples to apples comparison).

You could always ask the guys at MPT (they responded to a few of my e-mails before I got my tune from them) and see what they think.
I am sure a 93 tow tune with street (maybe chill) transmission shifting set up for the mods you have made would add a good bit of power for towing. an 89 octane tow tune would add some too, but not as much as the 93.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just purchased a superchips and noticed a slight difference with the 87 tune could've been the tail wind haha any negative effects recorded running the trucks on 93 octane and tune for a bit?

Quick Reply: looking for a tuner (gas mileage, and towing)