Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Looking into F150, looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking into F150, looking for advice

Im new here, looking into getting an F150. I am a current owner of an '93 Dakota, but I need something bigger, newer, and more relaible. I am a Ford guy and have always liked F150s, so Im looking for advice from you guys. Primary use for the truck is daily drive, plus tow rig for my '89 Mustang race car. I am limited on budget, looking for less than $7000. I want a truck that will last me the next couple years and not have any problems. I need power to tow the car and trailer. My question for you guys is on mileage. From your experience, what for how many miles will these trucks maintain reliability? Any specific year to look for/ stay away from? Thanks
Old 02-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Mr. J. Bauer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I have a 1997 F-150 with over 220k on it and I to pull a drag car with it, 1976 Camaro on an 18' bumper hitch car trailer with two 12,000 pound axels and I haven't had any problems with it. I only have the 4.6 in it and if you turn the overdrive off loaded you prolly can't pull at the speed limit but you can pull your car. I get with mine about 11 or 12 loaded and about 19 or 20 with it unloaded. They are a very reliable truck if you take care of it. The biggest problem these trucks have are the spark plugs, where they're positioned is the worst. I guess I'm not really sure what years to stay away from, I have a 1997 XLT with a 4.6 and also a 2002 Lariet with a 5.4 both have been very good to me no problems with either one. But like I said it all depends on how you treat them. Hope that helps some. Like I said my '97 have over 220k and even though it's 17 below outside right now I can go start it and it will start right and run just fine. It does not use a drop of oil the only major problem I ran into with mine was the light duty 8.8" rear end they placed under the trucks that was my only problem but I replaced it and now I think it's good for another 100,000 miles.

Last edited by bigredford; 02-01-2008 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:23 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

For your budget level, suggest that the maintenance levels will play a huge part. Find someone who has kept their truck up, and you should be nothing but happy, regardless of the model year. Should expect better than 200K miles easy - if the proper maintenance continues to be done.

I know I have no intent of turning mine loose - rates right up there on reliability alongside death and taxes.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:53 PM

Well I just purchased a 1997 XLT Extended Cab F150 about a week ago. Has 69,000 miles on it and gave only $7,500 for it. The truck is in EXCELLENT condition, The owner was a school teacher, he was about 55 years old and said his father had owned a car garage for over 40 years. He had all records of oil changes and other maintence he had done. The only problem with the truck I bought was the Exhaust rattles due to a small little hole in the pipe, I got it fixed the day I bought it for $30. My advice to you (for what its worth) is to try to find an ADULT DRIVEN truck, if you buy a truck off some teenager with no respect for there stuff then the trucks gonna be crap. I can also save you some time and tell you to avoid car dealerships and try to by off a private seller. I went to every single car lot within a 120 mile radius of where I lived and they all try to wayyyyyy over price there trucks. Example: In lexington,KY I went to Greens Ford.Lincoln.Mercury and looked at a 1999 F150 extended cab with pw,pl,cd player JUST A PLAIN TRUCK and it had 138,493 miles on it and they wanted $8.600 BEFORE TAXES. There excuse was "trucks hold there value so good we hate to lose money on it"

GOOD LUCK with your search man, Hit up www.autotrader.com or www.cars.com you can set your own price range and stuff on there so you wont have to sift through a buncha trucks out of your price range!
Old 02-02-2008, 01:29 PM

Exactly what im loooking for. thanks. keep 'em comin'!
Old 02-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Mr. J. Bauer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not all dealerships are that bad I only paid a little over $7000.00 for my '97 and it had over 100,000 miles on it but eh person who owned before was a truck accessories salesmen so pretty much all the miles on it were highway. I was able to contact him before I bought it and he told me the reason for getting rid of it, it didn't pull the new trailer he bought very well. He said if it was for being a little to under powered for him he would still have the truck. The dealership up here was very reasonable they had it listed below book value. So I wouldn't rule out all dealerships, if you think it's to high priced look on Kelly Blue Book and see what it's valued at.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:37 PM

I completely agree with you BIGREDFORD, not ALL dealerships are bad AND Kelly Blue Book or NADA are your best friends when trying to buy a used truck. Its all about knowing how to talk to the ppl at the dealerships. My advice on dealerships is go to the carlot and find a truck you like in your price range, then come home and look on Kelly Blue Book or NADA and see what it values out, then go back with that information in hand and try to cut a deal with them. If you have a trade-in do NOT mention it until you have them down to there BOTTOM dollar asking price and then tell them you also have a trade-in. ALSO, check the classified ads in your local newspaper. Good Luck Sir!
Old 02-02-2008, 03:24 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought my 1996 F150 XLT extracab 4x4, with 123,000 miles on it for $5600 on eBay. The dealer was about 90 + or - miles away, just outside of Phildelphia. The truck is in great shape and, so far, has been very reliable.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chadt
My advice to you (for what its worth) is to try to find an ADULT DRIVEN truck, if you buy a truck off some teenager with no respect for there stuff then the trucks gonna be crap.
that comment is total bull****, no offense to you, I just cant stand it when People make broad generalizations with no merit to back it up

I know more about my truck, and take better care of it than 85% of people out there, so don't go around saying that all teenagers treat their cars like ****.

I am not saying that all teenagers will take pride in what they drive, I know for a fact that many don't.

Last edited by Ty; 02-02-2008 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:01 PM

woahhhhhh calm down man. I wasn't trying to start no big thing here. I was just saying that IN MY OWN OPINION and adult driven truck will be the better buy. MOST not all BUT MOST teenagers hotrod there vehicles to death. If your not one of them I sincerely appologize and commend you for taking care of what is yours.

Quick Reply: Looking into F150, looking for advice