Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

LOCKERS - Love em' or Hate em' ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 01:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOCKERS - Love em' or Hate em' ??

I have a 04 heritage 5 speed 4.2L 4x2. I would like to do some more off-roading with out getting stuck in the sand so easy. I don't really want to drive around town with a locking rear end though. Without spending a thousand bucks what do you recommend?

I am looking at the POWERTRAX.
http://www.richmondgear.com/powertrax/nsoperation.html

Has anyone used these, how do they do around town?
Thanks Bros

Old 10-01-2010, 03:26 AM
Sideways :-)

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

junk. go with the detroit locker, thats personally what im gonna do for my rear end... 100% locked when your on the gas. i was told that with reverse torque flow i.e torque coming from the axle shafts rather than from the drive shaft that it will unlock. sowhile in a turn as long as your off the gas no tires being chewed up... or just buy a selectable locker.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:03 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

i put a powertrax in my buddys chevy......toasted it about 3 months later.... it worked well just didnt hold up...he drives the ***** off it though
Old 10-01-2010, 10:54 AM

@98blue... How are you able to call them junk? Do you have any personal experience with them? They are not cheap and the company has been making lockers for over 20 years. They carry the same warranty as the DL.
Plus don't you think that if you do any driving around town that a normal locker will suck *****. I live in a big city and often time need to accelerate around turns due to stop lights, idiots, or huge intersections.
If they were to NOT be junk. You gotta admit that its a pretty ingenious idea. They act as a non-slip and locker, they disengage around turns. Plus they aren't as noisy.

@BOBKYLE... Was your buddy able to get them replaced under warranty?
Old 10-02-2010, 02:19 AM

Default Locker

I have a detroit in the rear. Love it, great off road. It does chew tires but i think the trade is worth it. I try to take it easy in town but often the town will not let me. Tru trac up front is great too, you might consider that. Just a little brake and it locks up nice.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:31 AM

I think that is what Im going with, the truetrac in the rear. I think that is my best choice as I do alot of city driving.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:48 PM
Sideways :-)

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hossola
@98blue... How are you able to call them junk? Do you have any personal experience with them? They are not cheap and the company has been making lockers for over 20 years. They carry the same warranty as the DL.
Plus don't you think that if you do any driving around town that a normal locker will suck *****. I live in a big city and often time need to accelerate around turns due to stop lights, idiots, or huge intersections.
If they were to NOT be junk. You gotta admit that its a pretty ingenious idea. They act as a non-slip and locker, they disengage around turns. Plus they aren't as noisy.

@BOBKYLE... Was your buddy able to get them replaced under warranty?

all my buddies have run them and thats how i know not to buy them. when your out on the trail and need it most they dont lock where needed where as a detroit stays 100% lock when your on the gas.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:42 PM

@98blue... hey bro I see that you are in PHX. Where local do you recommend romping at?
Old 10-02-2010, 09:18 PM

Hey go with the detroit truetrack, theres no cones or clutches to wear out. I run this in my 03 and love it.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:59 PM

I have a detroit locker in mine and love the confidence of knowing that the power will get to the ground eveytime.

Quick Reply: LOCKERS - Love em' or Hate em' ??