Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Lockers???

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 10:39 AM
ford till I die

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Lockers???

how expensive is it to get lockers installed and is it worth the money?? and is it best to get them on the front or rear?
Old 05-06-2010, 11:17 AM

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

They are usually pretty pricey! If your truck has a limited slip in the rear, you shouldn't need a locker. HOwever, that does not mean a locker isn't better than limited slip. You also have to take into consideration what you do with your truck. If you do a lot of heavy off-roading, lockers in front and rear are definately worth their weght in gold for that.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Found Off Road Dominating

x2 and unless you are doing a lot of heavy off roading, i wouldnt put lockers in the front end because you will destroy the tront end with a locker up there
The following users liked this post:
o6S1D9e (10-12-2021)
Old 05-06-2010, 02:14 PM
ford till I die

Question

Originally Posted by sbronemann
They are usually pretty pricey! If your truck has a limited slip in the rear, you shouldn't need a locker. HOwever, that does not mean a locker isn't better than limited slip. You also have to take into consideration what you do with your truck. If you do a lot of heavy off-roading, lockers in front and rear are definately worth their weght in gold for that.
Whats the diffrence between limited slip and lockers? i dont think my truck even has limited slip
Old 05-06-2010, 05:02 PM

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Limited slip basically gives you both rear tires spinning instead of just one. A locker-they are both locked together at the same speed at all times. So when you turn a corner, you can feel the resistance because the inside wheel could/would start chirping on dry concrete even.
o6S1D9e (10-12-2021)
Old 05-06-2010, 05:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In simplified terms limited slip is a less intense version of lockers. What a limited slip differential does is provide power to both rear wheels at different rates and allows them to spin at different speeds. This differs from an open differential where only one wheel will spin in on a low friction surface. Correct me if I am wrong but a locker will provide the same amount of power to both rear wheels and cause them to spin at the same rate. This causes problems when turning on drive pavement applications because the tires will need to spin at different speeds.

This goes for front and rear differentials. If you go with lockers make sure they are selectable meaning you can turn them on and off otherwise your truck would be useless on the road, especially if you get a front locker.

Side note limited slip is also called posi or posi track. You can find out if you truck has limited slip by decoding you VIN there is a thread on this forum for how to do so.

Hope this helps
o6S1D9e (10-12-2021)
Old 05-06-2010, 05:22 PM
BAMF Club

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Devinjw520
x2 and unless you are doing a lot of heavy off roading, i wouldnt put lockers in the front end because you will destroy the tront end with a locker up there
If it's a selectable locker, your frontend will be fine. Locking axles together is a bad idea for front or rear if you drive it on pavement at all. I only do mild off-roading and am planning on a LSD or E-Locker for the front as soon as I can afford it. 3wd does not equal true 4wd
o6S1D9e (10-12-2021)
Old 05-06-2010, 07:57 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

First off a locker in the front wont destroy it.

plus a limited slip rear end is more of an open diff.

and a posi is more of a locker than an open diff there just more forgiving, there also alot more exspensive, than a locker

the only vehicle I've ever had with a limited slip would be my harley and as soon as the clutches burn up it will be fitted with a 9" and locker, there the only way to go IMO you just gotta now how to drive it in the rain and be prepaired for the tires to wear a little quicker due to turns and the inner most wheel always turning at a quicker speed then the outer, thus make the chirping sound if ya'll have ever heard it!

selectable locker would be better in your situation, i just wouldn't pay the extra they cost, I'm cheap
o6S1D9e (10-12-2021)
Old 05-06-2010, 08:11 PM
ford till I die

Originally Posted by harley9703
First off a locker in the front wont destroy it.

plus a limited slip rear end is more of an open diff.

and a posi is more of a locker than an open diff there just more forgiving, there also alot more exspensive, than a locker

the only vehicle I've ever had with a limited slip would be my harley and as soon as the clutches burn up it will be fitted with a 9" and locker, there the only way to go IMO you just gotta now how to drive it in the rain and be prepaired for the tires to wear a little quicker due to turns and the inner most wheel always turning at a quicker speed then the outer, thus make the chirping sound if ya'll have ever heard it!

selectable locker would be better in your situation, i just wouldn't pay the extra they cost, I'm cheap
haha im cheap to im a broke high school kid
o6S1D9e (10-12-2021)
Old 05-06-2010, 09:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

best bet is an ARB rear air locker.... when turned off it acts as a limited slip open diff so in turns on dry pavement it allows for the inside wheel to turn at a different rate. ARB and detroit are the best in the business... arb is doing a deal where you buy one locker and get a free air compressor... the air compressors are really small and will be most likely mounted inside the engine bay. the arb is 850 and will probably run you 300-450 to get installed. what kind of wheeling do you do? if its just a quick mud run with buddies every now and then or hunting when your off road there is no need for a locker... it would be better to invest in some good tires if thats the case. jmo
o6S1D9e (10-12-2021)

Quick Reply: Lockers???