Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

In-Line trans cooler filter leak (not the filter in the pan)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default In-Line trans cooler filter leak (not the filter in the pan)

Just bought an 02 F150 SuperCrew 4x4 - I noticed there is a small amount of trans fluid where the 3/8" tubing and the in-line filter meet up -

Is this caused by a filter that needs changing or just a clamp that needs to be tightened?

Question #2 - if the filter is dirty and needs to be changed - what would cause this??

I just want to make sure I am only looking at a "dirty filter" issue of some sorts and not a bigger underlying problem w/ the tranny.

The filter is part no : XC3Z7B155BA

I found a link for a replacement and also shows the image of the filter
http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/cg...uct_detail.jsp

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-26-2009, 04:31 PM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Superfluous Filter:

I don't get the idea of a separate/external filter for the tranny oil. The oil is subject to nearly zero contamination and the integral internal filter is more than adequate to contain particulate contamination. Anyway.....

The leak is probably caused by a loose connection. Tighten the clamps and the leak should go away. (I'd remove the external filter altogether; what ain't there can't leak. But then, that's just my opinion.)
Old 09-26-2009, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly, more than 1 link in the chain and your bound to have issues.. I re-tightened the clamp anyway, even tho it was pretty tight.. Will see later if that fixes the problem.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:20 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Have never been a fan of hose clamps in a pressure application. Especially on small 1/4 or 3/8 lines. First off, the filter spliced into the metal line, no means is made to install the bead on the cut line. The bead is that bulge that you see on the filters end. That bead is actually what is the seal, the clamp prevents the rubber line from sliding off. Now comes the killer. To large a clamp is used, bigger is better, WRONG. The correct clamp will tighten equally around the rubber connection piece, not tightening the rubber to form a tear drop, which eventually leaks at the point ot the tear. Loose the filter and replace the line.

Quick Reply: In-Line trans cooler filter leak (not the filter in the pan)