Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Lights not working while turn signal is working @ trailer hitch connector

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lights not working while turn signal is working @ trailer hitch connector

I have a '98 and I checked out this thread below:
http://f150online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325274

It mentions that there is one 20A fuse that controls both the running lamps and blinkers for the hitch connector. When I probe the connector at the rear bumper with my volt meter, the pin for the lights (while on) sits just above zero (maybe as high as 0.2 or 0.3V) but the blinker pins swing appropriately between 12V and 0.

Currently, neither the lights or blinkers work on the trailer. If the aforementioned fuse was blown, I would think the pins at the hitch connector would be completely dead. So, I will check that fuse next, but I doubt its blown.

Also, all the lights and blinkers work just fine on the truck.

Any thoughts other than a complete rewire?
Old 04-10-2008, 08:13 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Disconnect the trailer wiring and check the voltage at the plug, truck side of course. If OK, then go on to the trailer harness and check for proper ground. Sounds like poor ground and current is back feeding to the truck. Let us know.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:28 PM

checked the fuse last night and it was fine. started rewring the trailer for good measure because those wires are not protected very well and it was time anyways. Still having the problem, so it seems to me that somewhere on the truck the lamps wiring is shorted to ground. i will measure the impedance and go from there. seems like it would have blown the fuse, but it could be a high impedance short.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:10 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Not knowing what trailer you have or the type of wiring plug used, let me add this as I have been caught short or stupid before. Basically you need three hot wires and one ground. One hot is running lites, on boat trailers its brown. One wire yellow is left turn/stop. One wire green is right turn/stop. The fourth wire is white and is the ground. Now if this white wire bolts to the trailer frame and not running thru to the truck as the other three due, don't forget to hitch trailer to truck or you will not have a ground. Its always best to have four wires to the truck. Do not depend on the ball mount as a reliable conductor. Good luck!
Old 01-16-2012, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by hulmanite
I have a '98 and I checked out this thread below:
http://f150online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325274

It mentions that there is one 20A fuse that controls both the running lamps and blinkers for the hitch connector. When I probe the connector at the rear bumper with my volt meter, the pin for the lights (while on) sits just above zero (maybe as high as 0.2 or 0.3V) but the blinker pins swing appropriately between 12V and 0.

Currently, neither the lights or blinkers work on the trailer. If the aforementioned fuse was blown, I would think the pins at the hitch connector would be completely dead. So, I will check that fuse next, but I doubt its blown.

Also, all the lights and blinkers work just fine on the truck.

Any thoughts other than a complete rewire?
you may end p having to put a secondary ground in wire on sounds like ground to me

Quick Reply: Lights not working while turn signal is working @ trailer hitch connector