Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Lift with keys...

Old 03-23-2009, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lift with keys...

Hey guys,
I have searched, without success, for an answer. I would like a install a mild lift on a 2000 F150, so that I am able to run 33" tires. I know that some people have done this without a lift, but I would like a little more height. Are there any real negative aspects to using aftermarket torsion keys for a 2" lift? I have read both pros and cons on this board. The truck is not used for anything hardcore. I am just looking for some additional lift without cranking the torsion bars up. Will the ride suffer? Any info would be greatly appreciately. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:05 PM

From what I have read dude, the ride shouldn't suffer. I will be doing the same thing to my truck. Everything I have read and from what I have asked everyone the ride should be just fine.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:49 PM

if you use the search option you'll find many threads covering this.. some great advice!

here is one from a few weeks back. https://www.f150forum.com/showthread...t=torsion+lift
Old 03-23-2009, 03:48 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I had used the search, but EVIDENTLY didn't use the correct wording. Thanks again. Now it's time to work on my search skills.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:17 PM

yes it will affect the ride the new keys do the exact same thing as cranking up your stock keys....they both do the same thing by turning the torrsion bars tighter to gain lift
Old 03-23-2009, 05:44 PM

All the torsion keys do is put more pressure on the torsion bar causing lift. The ride will be rougher, and you are putting more stress on the system as a whole. You will need to have the allignment checked when your done. Its like anything else, some people have good luck with cranking them up, and some people dont. The most common problem is your CV Joints going bad. A torsion lift is always reversable, just make sure you keep your stock measurements handy in case you ever want to return your truck back to stock.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:07 PM

I've been looking and looking through these threads trying to find an answer to a simple question I have. I tightened my torsion keys and got an inch and a half lift, now if I were to get aftermarket torsion keys, Would that lift it 2 and a half inches like they claim? From stock hieght. Or is it just a gimmick, like if I were to crank down my torsion keys then put them on and get 2 and a half inches? pretty much doing the same thing my keys are already doin. And I was reading up on some keys on a website and it said they dont affect the suspension preload, Isnt that the whole idea? Im confused on that one, but would really like it if someone had a good answer for the first q.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:10 AM

Levihunter. The aftermarket keys are just reshaped to give you lift without turning the torsion keys up. They work the same way as the stock keys do but if you crank them all the way you will end up with more of a lift than if you cranked the stock keys. I hope that answered your question.

I have a new 2 in. Tuff Country kit with new keys and blocks for the rear waiting for me in the garage. I just have to finish moving and getting unpacked before I jump into the truck.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:32 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you look at the picture it shows the black line as the control arm in the stock position. Notice the range of motion upper limits and lower limits. When you crank the torsion bars or reindex them using a new key they are now in the red arm position. The range of motion doesn't change but the A arm is pushed lower and that raises the truck. You are more likely to hit the bottom stoppers than if you keep the arm in the stock position. As for wearing out the ball joints sooner I doubt that the change in the static position will be the main casue of premature wear. The most likely cause is the bigger, read heavier, tires you add to make your truck look better. And for CV joints again I suspect the stress of bigger tires is what does them in.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:05 PM

Yes, you did answer my question. Just saw how cheap they were and wondered if it was a gimmick or worth spending a few bucks on. Seen them on ebay for 50 bucks. Think I might invest to get a lil more clearence on my front end. I keep bottoming out in ruts. I hear people say that its not good to put that much stress on your torsion bar, but I dont ride my truck hard. Should be good hun?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lift with keys...