Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Let's talk about oil

Old 09-01-2015, 02:15 PM
Ford Man For Life

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Let's talk about oil

Ok so I have been reading a researching a lot on engine oil and what I need or should run in my 2v 5.4 and there are a lot of mixed awnsers out there and I would really just like to know what's up and what is gonna do the best or be the best for my truck..

I know the recommended is a 5w-20 with a motorcraft filter and I can see understand and will always use a motorcraft filter but what I don't understand the is weight of the oil now in everything I have ever owned I have run a 10w-40 pensoil and a quart of Lucas and after the reading and research I'm not so sure what to do for my first oil change I've heard a lot about Germany ford maufacturs not recommending a 5w-20 because of the wear property not being to par I just want the most outta my truck and would love to hear some options and what some knowledgeable people on these trucks think this is my first F-series truck and I wanna make it last as long as I can seeings how I am stuck paying for it for a long while so let me know what you guys think or what you use and the results you've seen thanks so much God Bless

Josh
Old 09-01-2015, 02:24 PM
Title

Received 497 Likes on 414 Posts

Just put in 5w-20. When your truck dies, it won't be because you put in manufacture weight oil. Bigger things to worry about in the world. Like what color socks should I wear today, or do I want to use a blue pen or a black pen.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:27 PM
0.9% is for suckers!

Received 172 Likes on 122 Posts

I always go with whats on the filler cap, brand is a diff story.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:29 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

tackle.......Wear white socks if your wearing shorts, Go for the blue pen...black ones are so cliche!

But yes 5W-20
Old 09-01-2015, 02:35 PM

Received 185 Likes on 179 Posts

The first oil change I did on my truck was with 10W40 because that's what my dad uses and I didn't know any better. I bought the truck with a little under 160k miles, did the change around 164k miles. Soon after I noticed a decent oil leak. Weather this is because the oil is too heavy or because it is just old parts, IDK. Ever since I went back to 5w20 I haven't had any problems.

If I where you, I'd just stick with what is recommended for your engine. They built your engine to run on a specific weight of oil, why change it? I use 5W20 Castrol GTX Magnatec with a Motocraft filter.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:17 PM
Ford Man For Life

Originally Posted by Tackle
Just put in 5w-20. When your truck dies, it won't be because you put in manufacture weight oil. Bigger things to worry about in the world. Like what color socks should I wear today, or do I want to use a blue pen or a black pen.
Then why would the European ford maufacturs highly not recommend 5w-20? The guy on here that stated that fact suggested that it is due to some governmental resticton on oil to the car manufacturing company's have to follow here in the states and why moc me and act like my question is meaning less? All I wanted was an opinion as to the fact of is there something better that we could be using in our trucks?
Old 09-01-2015, 03:39 PM
Title

Received 497 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Ford guy #6
Then why would the European ford maufacturs highly not recommend 5w-20? The guy on here that stated that fact suggested that it is due to some governmental resticton on oil to the car manufacturing company's have to follow here in the states and why moc me and act like my question is meaning less? All I wanted was an opinion as to the fact of is there something better that we could be using in our trucks?
I'm not mocking you and provided my opinion. The real answer to your question would require a high level of technical knowledge in regards to our engines and testing of different weight oil. The odds of someone being able to produce specific comparisons with proof (which is what you're asking for) is very very low. Lottery has better odds.

What you'll get here:

Billy bob down the road running 25w-70 in his truck can vouch that the oil is the reason his truck lasted to 200k miles.

He does not know and cannot prove that with recommended 5w-20 it might have went 50k miles or 300k miles.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:53 PM

Received 185 Likes on 179 Posts

If you have a European Ford truck, do what they recommend, they may build their trucks a little different so they may need different things. To me, Ford is American, so I will go with what American Ford recommends.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:06 PM
Ford Man For Life

Originally Posted by Tackle
I'm not mocking you and provided my opinion. The real answer to your question would require a high level of technical knowledge in regards to our engines and testing of different weight oil. The odds of someone being able to produce specific comparisons with proof (which is what you're asking for) is very very low. Lottery has better odds.

What you'll get here:

Billy bob down the road running 25w-70 in his truck can vouch that the oil is the reason his truck lasted to 200k miles.

He does not know and cannot prove that with recommended 5w-20 it might have went 50k miles or 300k miles.
That's what I wanted man opinions..ive said that that lol I wanna know what everyone's running if there is anyone who runs anything else and what experiences they have had with there choices I just feel personally feel that 5w-20 is too thin for the heat in the area I live in
Old 09-01-2015, 04:26 PM

Received 399 Likes on 286 Posts

Default Let's talk about oil

That's what I wanted man opinions..ive said that that lol I wanna know what everyone's running if there is anyone who runs anything else and what experiences they have had with there choices I just feel personally feel that 5w-20 is too thin for the heat in the area I live in

Might as well throw some diesel in it too. You "feel" wrong. People get paid 6 digits at ford to work on this. This thread is pointless and anyone posting is waisting their breath. Run what's spec and call it a day.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Let's talk about oil