Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Led pod retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 09:35 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Led pod retrofit

I'm looking to do some lighting upgrades and will be getting a 50 inch curved light bar for across the top of the windshield and 4 cubes in spot 2 to replace the factory fog lights and 2 to hopefully retrofit a pair of headlights with. Does anybody know where to go for retrofit headlights or custom 50 inch curved brackets the only manufacturer that makes them for out old trucks is n-fab but they are $180 and I don't want to pay that much can y'all help with that as well
Old 11-30-2016, 09:39 AM

Received 797 Likes on 577 Posts

Plenty of good guys on here will build you a set of retrofits, they might be along shortly.... skip the bar on top. Doesn't look good with our body style. Go for the 32"curved behind the grill if you want more light. Keeps it away from thieves too. The01Kingranch has a simple write up
Old 11-30-2016, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by fordguy2100
Plenty of good guys on here will build you a set of retrofits, they might be along shortly.... skip the bar on top. Doesn't look good with our body style. Go for the 32"curved behind the grill if you want more light. Keeps it away from thieves too. The01Kingranch has a simple write up
Thanks I still will probably do the 50 inch just for pure light output during hunting season and early morning fishing trips on the county roads down here
Old 11-30-2016, 12:51 PM

Received 486 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001f150hd
Thanks I still will probably do the 50 inch just for pure light output during hunting season and early morning fishing trips on the county roads down here
After reading the threads, you'll most likely go with the 32's behind the grille- most posters report terrible glare when lights are roof mounted- do a thread search, but thats kinda the short version-
Old 11-30-2016, 02:49 PM

Received 176 Likes on 139 Posts

Roof mount is horrible. Horrible look you also blind yourself off the hood. Also not sure how you plan to fit a projector and a pod in the headlight housings, but good luck.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by the01kingranch
Roof mount is horrible. Horrible look you also blind yourself off the hood. Also not sure how you plan to fit a projector and a pod in the headlight housings, but good luck.
I had planned to do just a pod and a small regular light or if I can figure out a way to do it one of the two pictured
Attached Thumbnails Led pod retrofit-img_0390.jpg   Led pod retrofit-img_0394.jpg  
Old 11-30-2016, 03:15 PM

Received 176 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001f150hd
I had planned to do just a pod and a small regular light or if I can figure out a way to do it one of the two pictured
Have you looked at our body style lights? Not sure if you know what you are talking about or know how much space you need. Not meaning to be disrespectful.

Trending Topics

Old 11-30-2016, 03:58 PM

Received 797 Likes on 577 Posts

A 32" rigid will give you unbeatable light about over any non rigid 50" bar so size really DOESNT matter, it's all about quality of lights used. You should do some research in the different types of LEDS used. Also yeah you don't fit pods in fog light housings but you can just put pods in the fog light holes. Many people including me ditched the factory fogs and put in 6" LED bars.

I go hunting, mudding and back road driving often, never needed any more light than my fogs and 32" bar with headlights. I've thought about retrofitting my headlights for better light output when other cars are around but not sure how long I'm staying in this truck
Old 11-30-2016, 05:39 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I've been debating doing a retrofit on my headlights. I do have Rigid Industries spot's in my fog light holes and they are bright. They go further than my buddy with a 20" Chinese light bar. When looking at retrofits, I noticed a pod would definitely fit in the headlight housing, but I doubt 2 would fit. Here's the options I came up with...

Rigid Industries DOT/SAE Driving Light Pods:
http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/50481

This would be perfect because they are DOT/SAE approved, and have a perfect optic in them to have an awesome cutoff at the top of the beam.
- 1,760 Raw Lumens

Rigid Industries High/Low Beam Pods In Driving Beam:
http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/50231H

This would definitely help you get past inspection due to having a low and high beam. I'm not worried about it since I run 10% tint and have to have a buddy inspect my truck, but would also be nice for keeping light out of other peoples eyes. The low beam is a little low on the lumens side so I'm not sure how well they would perform.
- 607 Lumens (Low Beam)
- 3,096 Lumens (High Beam)

Rigid Industries Radiance Pods:
http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-l..._family%3a5476

This would be an absolute go-to for the most mean look. The background lighting is just the right brightness, and they have a lot of colors to choose from. Unfortunately, running a standstill light on a non-authorized vehicle is illegal in my state, but for a lot of other states you can, as long as the color isn't flashing and that of a first responder vehicle. Lumens is a little on the low side, but if your going for looks this would be it. NOTE: The light is not colored, just the background of the pod is.
- 900 Raw Lumens

Rigid Industries Spot Beam Pods:
http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/20221

I run these in my fog light holes and dear lord they are bright and focused. The spot beam provides just enough flood to be able to see the direction your turning. The light is focused and will throw it down the road pretty far.
- 1,568 Lumens

Rigid Industries Driving Beam Pod:
http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/50231

The name of this optic is exactly what you want it for, driving. This is similar to the High/Low beam pod I talked about above, but is just for high. If aimed correctly, I believe you could keep light out of other peoples eyes and have a huge field of view.
- 3,096 Lumens

All in all, I would probably choose to go with the DOT/SAE style pod. Some of the other optics are too bright, and some are too dim. The DOT/SAE style pod seems right in the middle, and has an excellent cut off beam to keep light off other peoples eyes, making you less of a dick, and making it safer for everyone around you.

Last edited by F150Screw5.4; 11-30-2016 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by the01kingranch
Have you looked at our body style lights? Not sure if you know what you are talking about or know how much space you need. Not meaning to be disrespectful.
I understand how I came across like that and I should have explained better but I was talking about doing the one on the bottom without the he two at the top and just the pod and the led headlight on the bottom.

The first picture is there so someone with experience with this kind of modification could see it and give their opinion. I wasn't wanting the projector on the bottom just the 6 inch bar and a regular headlight bulb if it would fit I understand the projector and pod wouldn't fit but was hoping the bar and regular light would