Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

LED Light Bar Pics

Old 10-29-2014, 08:57 PM
The Real Stig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Light Bar Pics

buying a light bar Friday and its 24" I would like to mount in the middle of the bumper in front of the grille. has anyone done this and have pictures? suggestions? I'm thinking of drilling directly into the top of the bumper and taking the HELLA offroad lights out from behind the grille because they are mounted sideways and not much light. thanks
Old 10-29-2014, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by The Heritage
buying a light bar Friday and its 24" I would like to mount in the middle of the bumper in front of the grille. has anyone done this and have pictures? suggestions? I'm thinking of drilling directly into the top of the bumper and taking the HELLA offroad lights out from behind the grille because they are mounted sideways and not much light. thanks
Does this count? Lol

If you don't have a Ranch Hand, measure the width, make sure there is depth because the core support is in front of radiator, and make sure to leave room for the mounts.
Attached Thumbnails LED Light Bar Pics-forumrunner_20141029_195923.jpg  
Old 10-29-2014, 09:40 PM
The Real Stig

Originally Posted by dopewaffle
Does this count? Lol

If you don't have a Ranch Hand, measure the width, make sure there is depth because the core support is in front of radiator, and make sure to leave room for the mounts.

sorry I wasn't clear. I'm taking the lights of from behind the grille but the light bar is going in front of the grille and will be on the bumper. ranch hand is like a partner right? it will be like 6 of us because i'm the last joining the lightbar squad at school and they all want help
Old 10-29-2014, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

sorry I wasn't clear. I'm taking the lights of from behind the grille but the light bar is going in front of the grille and will be on the bumper. ranch hand is like a partner right? it will be like 6 of us because i'm the last joining the lightbar squad at school and they all want help
Ranch Hand is the grill guard, also known as the "get the **** outta my way tool"

I just saw this on the "Favorite pic of your 97-03 F150" thread. [MENTION=88329]Bill's03F-150[/MENTION]
(picture below)

I would search "LED bar" and search for threads only, and go through them and PM the owners that have em behind their grill.

If you want to mount it directly on the bumper, you will need self tapping screws to get it to be stable. My buddy has a 20" Rigid light bar (Exact same one I have in my Ranch Hand in the picture above) and with just the 2 screws from the mounts, its just sitting on the plastic. You cannot get a 20" evenly because of the front support under the plastic, because you will have to get a screw with a nut to lock it down. The plastic is held on with ribbots making it unstable.
Attached Thumbnails LED Light Bar Pics-forumrunner_20141029_211031.jpg  

Last edited by dopewaffle; 10-29-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:32 PM
The Real Stig

Talking

Ranch Hand is the grill guard, also known as the "get the **** outta my way tool"

I just saw this on the "Favorite pic of your 97-03 F150" thread. @Bill's03F-150
(picture below)

I would search "LED bar" and search for threads only, and go through them and PM the owners that have em behind their grill.

If you want to mount it directly on the bumper, you will need self tapping screws to get it to be stable. My buddy has a 20" Rigid light bar (Exact same one I have in my Ranch Hand in the picture above) and with just the 2 screws from the mounts, its just sitting on the plastic. You cannot get a 20" evenly because of the front support under the plastic, because you will have to get a screw with a nut to lock it down. The plastic is held on with ribbots making it unstable.

I lost you at sitting on the plastic. can u dumb it down? thanks for your help
Old 10-29-2014, 11:30 PM
Advanced Member

There are plastic ribbots that hold the plastic to the metal, like the piece above your radiator when you open the hood. Problem is, there are bars under the plastic on your bumper, that supports the strength of the front of the truck, in case of an accident. The metal is THICK and cannot drill through it, espically impossible if you try to get a nut on a screw to lock it in tight.

Long story short, the 20" bar fits the best on the bumper, but after mounting it with the included brackets, it will still only be held on by plastic. You will need to screw the plastic down with self tapping screws.

I know your probably just doing it for looks, because you mentioned that you wanted to join your friends in getting one, but dont cheap out if you want quality. I have a Rigid Industries 20" LED light bar, and it shoots out farther than anyone elses. The cheap $100 Chineese ones will get you looks, but the $500 Rigid will get you quality, and bragging rites for sure. Check out this YouTube link below buddy, it speaks for itself.

Last edited by dopewaffle; 10-29-2014 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:09 AM
The Real Stig

My friends have the masione brand and so far it has been bright and durable and has almost 5 star reviews, being in high school and only working 3 days a week, I really can only afford the $60 one, which is what the have, I just need to do some water proofing. Thanks!
Old 10-30-2014, 05:44 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

12" on the bumper. Yours will just be twice the size.
Attached Thumbnails LED Light Bar Pics-img_20140629_215740.jpg  
Old 10-30-2014, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

My friends have the masione brand and so far it has been bright and durable and has almost 5 star reviews, being in high school and only working 3 days a week, I really can only afford the $60 one, which is what the have, I just need to do some water proofing. Thanks!
No problem man. My buddy came down to the shop today and here is what it looks like. What i was trying to say is the screws dont go down to the metal, only the plastic. There is a lip on the bumper, and its near impossible to mount it without touching that lip of the actual bumper.

20" Rigid Industries RDS Series Light Bar
Attached Thumbnails LED Light Bar Pics-forumrunner_20141030_182016.jpg   LED Light Bar Pics-forumrunner_20141030_182025.jpg  
Old 10-30-2014, 08:07 PM
The Real Stig

No problem man. My buddy came down to the shop today and here is what it looks like. What i was trying to say is the screws dont go down to the metal, only the plastic. There is a lip on the bumper, and its near impossible to mount it without touching that lip of the actual bumper.

20" Rigid Industries RDS Series Light Bar
You do not not know how much help you have been. Before the purchase tomorrow I have one more question. My buddy came today and we looked and his and he put clear silicone I didn't even notice was there, we are going to that. His was about 4" wide and it looks like it will hang off the bumper. Does his do that? And is that a 20" also??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LED Light Bar Pics