Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 1997 - 2003 Ford F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 08:57 PM   #1
The Real Stig
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default LED Light Bar Pics

buying a light bar Friday and its 24" I would like to mount in the middle of the bumper in front of the grille. has anyone done this and have pictures? suggestions? I'm thinking of drilling directly into the top of the bumper and taking the HELLA offroad lights out from behind the grille because they are mounted sideways and not much light. thanks
__________________
"You can't get a speeding ticket if you go so fast they can't see you!"
The Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:06 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
dopewaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heritage View Post
buying a light bar Friday and its 24" I would like to mount in the middle of the bumper in front of the grille. has anyone done this and have pictures? suggestions? I'm thinking of drilling directly into the top of the bumper and taking the HELLA offroad lights out from behind the grille because they are mounted sideways and not much light. thanks
Does this count? Lol

If you don't have a Ranch Hand, measure the width, make sure there is depth because the core support is in front of radiator, and make sure to leave room for the mounts.
Attached Thumbnails
LED Light Bar Pics-forumrunner_20141029_195923.jpg  
dopewaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM   #3
The Real Stig
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopewaffle View Post
Does this count? Lol

If you don't have a Ranch Hand, measure the width, make sure there is depth because the core support is in front of radiator, and make sure to leave room for the mounts.
.


sorry I wasn't clear. I'm taking the lights of from behind the grille but the light bar is going in front of the grille and will be on the bumper. ranch hand is like a partner right? it will be like 6 of us because i'm the last joining the lightbar squad at school and they all want help
__________________
"You can't get a speeding ticket if you go so fast they can't see you!"
The Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:11 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
dopewaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heritage View Post
.

sorry I wasn't clear. I'm taking the lights of from behind the grille but the light bar is going in front of the grille and will be on the bumper. ranch hand is like a partner right? it will be like 6 of us because i'm the last joining the lightbar squad at school and they all want help
Ranch Hand is the grill guard, also known as the "get the **** outta my way tool"

I just saw this on the "Favorite pic of your 97-03 F150" thread. @Bill's03F-150
(picture below)

I would search "LED bar" and search for threads only, and go through them and PM the owners that have em behind their grill.

If you want to mount it directly on the bumper, you will need self tapping screws to get it to be stable. My buddy has a 20" Rigid light bar (Exact same one I have in my Ranch Hand in the picture above) and with just the 2 screws from the mounts, its just sitting on the plastic. You cannot get a 20" evenly because of the front support under the plastic, because you will have to get a screw with a nut to lock it down. The plastic is held on with ribbots making it unstable.
Attached Thumbnails
LED Light Bar Pics-forumrunner_20141029_211031.jpg  

Last edited by dopewaffle; Yesterday at 10:18 PM.
dopewaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM   #5
The Real Stig
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopewaffle View Post
Ranch Hand is the grill guard, also known as the "get the **** outta my way tool"

I just saw this on the "Favorite pic of your 97-03 F150" thread. @Bill's03F-150
(picture below)

I would search "LED bar" and search for threads only, and go through them and PM the owners that have em behind their grill.

If you want to mount it directly on the bumper, you will need self tapping screws to get it to be stable. My buddy has a 20" Rigid light bar (Exact same one I have in my Ranch Hand in the picture above) and with just the 2 screws from the mounts, its just sitting on the plastic. You cannot get a 20" evenly because of the front support under the plastic, because you will have to get a screw with a nut to lock it down. The plastic is held on with ribbots making it unstable.

I lost you at sitting on the plastic. can u dumb it down? thanks for your help
__________________
"You can't get a speeding ticket if you go so fast they can't see you!"
The Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:30 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
dopewaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

There are plastic ribbots that hold the plastic to the metal, like the piece above your radiator when you open the hood. Problem is, there are bars under the plastic on your bumper, that supports the strength of the front of the truck, in case of an accident. The metal is THICK and cannot drill through it, espically impossible if you try to get a nut on a screw to lock it in tight.

Long story short, the 20" bar fits the best on the bumper, but after mounting it with the included brackets, it will still only be held on by plastic. You will need to screw the plastic down with self tapping screws.

I know your probably just doing it for looks, because you mentioned that you wanted to join your friends in getting one, but dont cheap out if you want quality. I have a Rigid Industries 20" LED light bar, and it shoots out farther than anyone elses. The cheap $100 Chineese ones will get you looks, but the $500 Rigid will get you quality, and bragging rites for sure. Check out this YouTube link below buddy, it speaks for itself.


Last edited by dopewaffle; Yesterday at 11:39 PM.
dopewaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:09 AM   #7
The Real Stig
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

My friends have the masione brand and so far it has been bright and durable and has almost 5 star reviews, being in high school and only working 3 days a week, I really can only afford the $60 one, which is what the have, I just need to do some water proofing. Thanks!
The Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:09 AM
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join F150 Forum

 

The Mustang Source
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:48 PM.


Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.