Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Leaf spring and coil spring swap how hard?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 06:10 PM
RedTater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaf spring and coil spring swap how hard?

I bought my truck lowered and I want to raise it back up to stock height. I thought I would like it lowered but I don't, I have all the parts I need but I'm wondering if I can do it myself or should I take it in? I have done all my work to my vehicles myself so I want to try it. Is it hard to do? All I have to do is swap the leaf springs and coil springs out. Can this be done in my driveway on a weekend if I have help or not? Work is slow right now and I don't have the extra money to pay someone to do it or I would. I need to do it asap also because my truck bottomed out hit my driveshaft and bent it in half so now I have to get a new driveshaft also. That I can do no problem, any input would be great. Thanks
Old 02-12-2009, 12:32 AM
Ask about my Zombie plan

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Geez, that's a serious bottoming out!

I believe it could be done in a day. I replaced my springs and installed the hanger/shackles in a half a day by myself.

You'll need spring compressor that you can usually rent from an auto-parts store and of course a jack and jackstands.

Good luck!

Oh yeah, after you're done go to get an alignment.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:10 AM
RedTater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to do it myself but I'm nervous a little worried I might mess something up. I'm also wondering if the previous owner took out the bump stops, I'll check that too. I wouldn't think it would bottom out on the drive shaft if those were there.

Quick Reply: Leaf spring and coil spring swap how hard?