Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Keyless Entry

Old 05-01-2016, 08:38 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Keyless Entry

When I first bought my truck, it had factory power doors and windows, in addition to a keypad for keyless entry.

I lost the keypad, and shortly after, the actuators went to hell so I never bothered replacing it.

I just replaced my actuators and my locks work perfect. I want to buy another keypad so I have keyless entry but have never done this before. Most of the ones I see online are for cars without power locks.

Since mine already had a keypad and alarm, is it possible to just replace the keypad and reprogram it?
Old 05-01-2016, 09:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know if this helps but -- by keypad, do you mean the key fob? (the little black thing with 3 or 4 buttons on it). What you have, is it factory, or aftermarket? IF it's the key fob, I bought some on Amazon recently at 2 for $ 10. My truck, bought used, has electric locks -- but as I learned the hard way, it is not set up for a key fob. Anyway, real easy to buy and to set up, apparently yours is set up for it.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by fordysenior
I don't know if this helps but -- by keypad, do you mean the key fob? (the little black thing with 3 or 4 buttons on it). What you have, is it factory, or aftermarket? IF it's the key fob, I bought some on Amazon recently at 2 for $ 10. My truck, bought used, has electric locks -- but as I learned the hard way, it is not set up for a key fob. Anyway, real easy to buy and to set up, apparently yours is set up for it.
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. I used to have it when I first bought the truck, it looks factory but im not sure.

Either way, I'm just curious if anyone has bought a replacement keypad before and how to program it because I lost mine on a fishing trip.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:22 PM
GO SOX!

Received 92 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by joe8512
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. I used to have it when I first bought the truck, it looks factory but im not sure.

Either way, I'm just curious if anyone has bought a replacement keypad before and how to program it because I lost mine on a fishing trip.
I bought a couple replacements on Ebay. They come with instructions on how to program them. Pretty quick and straight forward.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by mandingo32
I bought a couple replacements on Ebay. They come with instructions on how to program them. Pretty quick and straight forward.
Is it good quality? Any link to which one you got?
Old 05-01-2016, 11:44 PM

Apparently, what you do is get inside the vehicle, doors closed, put the keys in, then turn the key to the run position, then to off, then to run, off, run, etc etc. Turn it into the run then off position 8 times within ten seconds stopping in the off position, then your door locks should activate (that's where my truck failed). Then you push one of the buttons on the fob.

I couldn't get the F150 to activate the locks, that's what told me mine does not come equipped for a fob -- but my Explorer could activate, so I did it right.

And of course, the question, do you need a 3 button or 4? I'm guessing 3. Mine are sitting in the trash can, since I don't need them, and at ten dollars I didn't want to hassle with returns -- Amazon didn't carry them direct, but had someone else send them. I didn't use them since I couldn't program the truck, but the look and quality and feel of them is as good as the factory Explorer fob I have.

Last edited by fordysenior; 05-01-2016 at 11:56 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:56 PM

Apparently, what you do is get inside the vehicle, doors closed, put the keys in, then turn the key to the run position, then to off, then to run, off, run, etc etc. Turn it into the run then off position 8 times within ten seconds stopping in the off position, then your door locks should activate (that's where my truck failed). Then you push one of the buttons on the fob. I couldn't get the F150 to activate the locks, that's what told me mine does not come equipped for a fob -- but my Explorer could activate, so I did it right. And of course, the question, do you need a 3 button or 4? I'm guessing 3. Mine are sitting in the trash can, since I don't need them, and at ten dollars I didn't want to hassle with returns -- Amazon didn't carry them direct, but had someone else send them. I didn't use them since I couldn't program the truck, but the look and quality and feel of them is as good as the factory Explorer fob I have.
That sounds ridiculous lol. Anyway, I don't know if I need a 3 or a 4.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:02 AM

My 99 needed a 3 button, my Explorer uses a 4 button since it has the lift gate in back -- one button to lock, one button to unlock, one horn panic button, ?? I don't know what else a pickup might have. If it's factory, a 3 button is most likely what to get. But you might try the turn on and off and see if the locks cycle so you know if everything else is ok before you order them. I didn't do that before ordering them, wasted my money, oh well
Old 05-02-2016, 12:02 AM

My 99 needed a 3 button, my Explorer uses a 4 button since it has the lift gate in back -- one button to lock, one button to unlock, one horn panic button, ?? I don't know what else a pickup might have. If it's factory, a 3 button is most likely what to get.
Sounds good, I'l have to order one
Old 05-02-2016, 12:40 AM

Received 797 Likes on 577 Posts

Lol you only need 3 the fourth button is for trunks which ticks don't have. Lock/unlock/panic= 3 buttons and as stated above you get in the truck, do some key turns and other random things and poof like magic your keyfob works. Also for future reference a keypad is the number pad that is in the door and the keyfob is the plastic piece that goes on a key ring

Edit* also I always thought if it had electric locks, you could use a fob... That was a reason for having electric locks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Keyless Entry