Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Just wanted to share my experience...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just wanted to share my experience...

The short version...
Just bought a 2001 f150 2wd 4.2 6cyl automatic,140k. Had a bank 1 lean code when i bought it. A couple days ago i started it and it was running rough,no power,and popping thru the intake when i drove it. Sent up three more codes,bank 2 lean,cyl 1 misfire,imrc stuck open. A new coil pack fixed it...

The long version...
My brother works at a used car lot and got this truck in. The light was on and it had a bad miss and shutter when driving but would idle fine. Had the shop that does their work put new wires and plugs and clear the light,didn't get the codes first... It ran fine after that,although it idled a slight bit rough for a minute or so starting it from cold. After it was warm it ran smooth as glass. Couple days later the light comes back on bank 1 lean but it still ran fine warm. Then all of the sudden a couple weeks later (a couple days ago) i started it and it ran a bit more rough at idle and didn't smooth out. Then when i went to drive it,it had no power,spintn and sputtern and popping thru the intake. Plugged it in and got three more codes: bank 2 lean,cyl 1 misfire,imrc stuck open. Never heard of a intake manifold runner control but once i did some surfing and learned what it was it made a lot of sense...
In the meantime my brother called so i told him about how it was running and he said,it's a ford,it's the coil pack! I'm a stubburn ***** sometimes and just blew him off... I started to take the intake apart to clean it. By the time i got the top off he had come home with a new coil pack. I sprayed carb cleaner around the runner control valves(basically just throttle valves like in a carb)and put the top of the intake back on. It ran slightly better but no real change. Then i reluctantly put the coil in,just laying it in there and hooking it up and vwala,problem solved.

If it wasn't for my brother, i would have spent hours taking the whole thing apart cleaning everything just for it not to work. I had assumed with the codes and stuff it had to be the imrc valves stuck... Still think theres probably something wrong with it as it idles a bit more rough than it did before but i haven't driven the truck long enough since to see if the light comes back on again,i'll keep you posted...

Hope this helps someone... Doug

Last edited by p1518 imrc; 06-02-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:52 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi Doug, while you were doing the work with the intake, lets back up, is this intake the large black plastic 2 piece plenium chamber? If so what color were the isolator bolts securing the lower chamber to the actual intake manifold? Have more info for you if this is the type of intake you have.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Bill. It's the black plastic one. I didn't get that far... My brother got home just as i was taking the top off. He convinced me to stop,don't take anything else apart,put it back together and try the coil. Glad he did...

Quick Reply: Just wanted to share my experience...