Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Intermittent wiper problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 01:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Intermittent wiper problem

Driving to work today in the rain, the windshield wipers stopped working on the highway. After about 1 minute of not working, they came back to life, worked for a few minutes then stopped again. This pattern happened 3-4 times. I drove the truck to the Ford dealership when it stopped raining and they were unable to duplicate the problem as the wipers are currently working. Any ideas?

thx!
Old 10-30-2012, 04:11 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like maybe you have a wire loose somewhere. Or there's something wrong with the controller
Old 10-30-2012, 04:19 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Did the wipers park themselves (go back to the bottom position), or just stop in the middle of the windshield?
Old 10-30-2012, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Warhammer
Did the wipers park themselves (go back to the bottom position), or just stop in the middle of the windshield?

they just stopped exactly where they were. I turned the lights on and off via the stalk a few times, but nothing happened... then magically they started moving again...
Old 10-30-2012, 06:52 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sna77
they just stopped exactly where they were. I turned the lights on and off via the stalk a few times, but nothing happened... then magically they started moving again...
Same thing happened to me and it was just a loose ground wire in the engine compartment. The cruise control, a/c and horn also wouldn't work whenever the wipers stopped.

The ground is way over at the left side (your left when standing at the grill looking in) on the firewall, behind the battery. I just tightened that bolt and the problem has never come back.

Hopefully, that's all it is for you!
Old 10-30-2012, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Warhammer
Same thing happened to me and it was just a loose ground wire in the engine compartment. The cruise control, a/c and horn also wouldn't work whenever the wipers stopped.

The ground is way over at the left side (your left when standing at the grill looking in) on the firewall, behind the battery. I just tightened that bolt and the problem has never come back.

Hopefully, that's all it is for you!
I'll give it a try--thanks!
Old 10-30-2012, 09:28 PM

I have the problem where mine dont turn off sometimes and others they just go on. its like they have a mind of there own. any ideas on this?? i have no idea how the wiper systems work on these trucks.

Quick Reply: Intermittent wiper problem