Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Intermittent Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Overheating

I have a 2000 f150 Reg cab 4.2 5 speed. For the past year I have a had a very intermittent overheating issue. About an hour into some trips my temp guage would begin to rise, I would pull off the road turn it off and turn it right back on and it was back to normal. Never had any coolant loss or any water in oil. This summer I replaced the thermostat and made several multiple hour trips and never had an issue but it returned while going hunting this weekend. About an hour in the guage begin to rise. I am at a loss as to what to change. Compression is normal, block test came back negative, leak down test passed, I've had a shop look to see if they could tell me anything but they said there were no signs of a head gasket. My last three ideas are the bottom radiator hose collapsing, a water pump issue, or some sort of electrical issue with the guage. The guage never goes higher than 3/4 of the way to high and I can turn it off and right back on and t is sitting about half way where t normally runs. I never have any issues driving around town with it, only on long trips and it always happens about an hour in and never again. Any advice would be great. I need about three more months out of this truck so I'm just trying to make sure I don't kill it.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:03 PM
2003 F-150 King Ranch

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Ah1313
I have a 2000 f150 Reg cab 4.2 5 speed. For the past year I have a had a very intermittent overheating issue. About an hour into some trips my temp guage would begin to rise, I would pull off the road turn it off and turn it right back on and it was back to normal. Never had any coolant loss or any water in oil. This summer I replaced the thermostat and made several multiple hour trips and never had an issue but it returned while going hunting this weekend. About an hour in the guage begin to rise. I am at a loss as to what to change. Compression is normal, block test came back negative, leak down test passed, I've had a shop look to see if they could tell me anything but they said there were no signs of a head gasket. My last three ideas are the bottom radiator hose collapsing, a water pump issue, or some sort of electrical issue with the guage. The guage never goes higher than 3/4 of the way to high and I can turn it off and right back on and t is sitting about half way where t normally runs. I never have any issues driving around town with it, only on long trips and it always happens about an hour in and never again. Any advice would be great. I need about three more months out of this truck so I'm just trying to make sure I don't kill it.
I would think water pump

Quick Reply: Intermittent Overheating