Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Intake Manifold

I think I have an easy question for you. Here goes. I have a '99 F150. 4.6L V8 from Romeo Plant. Many problems with it so I stripped it down and replaced head gaskets and everything above that. Once it was back together, topped up all fluids and noticed a coolant leak coming from the driver-side intake manifold where it connects to the aluminum head. So here's the issue:

Before I took it apart the first time, there was a definite sweet coolant smell when the truck was driven. Looking at now, I plainly see that coolant has been leaking slowly from this location for awhile. I saw a buildup of dried coolant and a darkening of the head. It seems as though the aluminum has like a hard calcium kind of deposit (white) that won't scrape clean so as to expose the shiny aluminum....

to put this intake manifold back on and have no more leaks what is the best way to proceed? Here are some of my first thoughts:

1) somehow clean the head but how??? I've scraped it everso gently with a very sharp razor and it doesn't do the trick. Is there a solvent that I could use? I hear you shouldn't use a wire brush on aluminum...?! Any thoughts?

2) Is there a better kind of gasket I can get? I know there are performance grade gaskets that go for $145 Canadian. Will these give me a better seal? Is there some kind of liquid gasket that would work for this application?

3) Is the head the issue? Is the Intake Manifold done for?

Curious on a fix for this.

Thanks. Need any ?s on specs or pics I can get that to you. Any informed suggestions are appreciated.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:58 AM

Received 94 Likes on 94 Posts

Is it pitted their or it has build up get a dremel with wire wheel and clean it up
Old 10-17-2011, 12:03 PM
A7X

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Eesh, there is an acid you can use to dissolve that oxidation but it is an industrial cleaner and you need to know someone to get it... If you use sandpaper make sure you use it on a block so you keep the head flat and don't gouge it or make a low spot... I would refrain from power tools unless you are comfortable using them... Be careful and remove the oxidation without removing any original material and you should be fine
Old 10-17-2011, 12:05 PM
A7X

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Also never used it but maybe CLR would help soften it up... But that product could be an "as seen on TV" gimmick idk

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold