Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Installing Headers Sucks

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 05:55 PM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Installing Headers Sucks

So I'm 2 days into the project of installing pace setter long tube headers in my 4.6 2wd and it completely sucks. Drivers side was a breeze. Passenger side on the other hand was a pain. I couldn't get a socket or wrench on one of the bottom nuts because part of the motor mount was obstructing it. I had to separate the two pieces and un bolt the part of the mount that bolts to the engine to provide clearance. I then had to unbolt the trans mount and jack the engine/trans up several inches to get the header to clear, then had to drop the engine so the header would bolt up. It's resting on the bell housing where the starter mounts barely but everything is tight. Working on O2 sensors tonight and getting everything buttoned up. Pics to come.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:13 PM

Received 426 Likes on 323 Posts

That's why I won't do it until I have to pull the engine. I'm too frustrated of a mech to screw with stupid angles and extracting bolts. I'm almost to the point in my life where I may start to just pay shops to mod my stuff. lol

Last edited by Wolvee; 10-06-2015 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:53 PM

Received 185 Likes on 179 Posts

^ I'm already there lol. I think my lift was the last big thing I did to my truck before I started having the shops do everything.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:06 PM
Title

Received 497 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolvee
That's why I won't do it until I have to pull the engine. I'm too frustrated of a mech to screw with stupid angles and extracting bolts. I'm almost to the point in my life where I may start to just pay shops to mod my stuff. lol
With age comes wisdom.

There are things that I know are worth shelling out the cash to have a shop do. Like oil changes and any exhaust work on 10+ year old vehicles. .
Old 10-07-2015, 03:07 AM

So I have mixed feelings about them. Great deep tone. But it ticks. But I can't tell if it's a leak or if it's just the fact that it's open headers and I'm hearing everything.

Also, not sure if this is related to egr or not but if I rev it in neutral or park it'll come back down and almost die before catching again. I have the egr turned off in the tune. Does that sound egr related to you guys or air fuel ratio. The oxygen sensors are right by where they exit (for now) and might be the culprit.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:30 AM
2003 FX4 Supercrew

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

If they are ticking, they are loose. I hope you used steel gaskets with permatex copper on both sides. You'll have to tighten them once or twice but then be done forever
Old 10-07-2015, 10:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Link to the LT headers? I never found some for the 4.6 2wd... Maybe you can provide some pics?
Old 10-07-2015, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by 2002FX4
If they are ticking, they are loose. I hope you used steel gaskets with permatex copper on both sides. You'll have to tighten them once or twice but then be done forever
I wouldn't be surprised if it was an exhaust leak, what has me a little thrown off is that it sounds like it's coming from under the truck close to where the headers dump.

Originally Posted by promillo
Link to the LT headers? I never found some for the 4.6 2wd... Maybe you can provide some pics?
I used 5.4l headers from pace setter. Got em off Amazon for less than 300 bucks.

Question though. What are my options to make the egr function. I don't necessarily want to delete it. I have the bung in the header plugged and the egr turned off in the tune.

Can I use an egr tube off of a 5.4? Or is it completely different? Could I use a whole egr setup off a 5.4?

Thanks for the help
Old 10-07-2015, 01:37 PM

After a few miles of driving, the codes p0171 and p0174 have come up. I'm going to guess that this is because the O2 sensors are three inches from fresh air causing it to read that there's too much oxygen in the exhaust

Quick Reply: Installing Headers Sucks