Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Installed Salvaged Instrument Cluster, now truck won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed Salvaged Instrument Cluster, now truck won't start

hello there , The odometer, fuel gauge, and oil temp gauge on the instrument cluster in my '03 Ford F150 went out a few months ago, so I went on the WWW and found a tutorial showing how to re-solder the places on the back of the Instrument Cluster. A local mechanic did the work and it worked fine for quite awhile. It started acting up again and a second re-soldering did not work. We sent it to a repair company and it was deemed unrepairable due to internal hardware issues. We found one at a local salvage yard which works great. The only trouble is, now the truck will not start, even though it never had any starting problems in the 5 years I have had it. The salvage yard man said that the IC came from a truck that had a remote start, could this be the reason for the new trouble? Or could it be an anti-theft thing since a new IC was installed? Does anyone have a workaround? thank you
Old 10-13-2014, 09:03 PM

Received 426 Likes on 323 Posts

PATS is effectively in 3 locations, Your ECU, your instrument cluster and your Key.

You can do a few things, Use your electronics board on the new cluster face. (Most ideal.)

Have a Stealership reprogram your system.

or

Use a handheld tuner like SCT and turn the PATS off completely.
The following users liked this post:
03firecracker (10-14-2014)
Old 10-13-2014, 09:06 PM
Looking for a Henway.

Received 369 Likes on 301 Posts

The instrument cluster is a part of the PATS system, you need to have the computer re-programed (Computer, cluster and RFID must be matched) for it to work. A deal can do it for sure, some local mechanics can too if they have the right scan tool.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:08 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

If you're in the Wichita area I would recommend Mel Hambleton Ford. The guys at Rusty Eck are hit and miss whether or not they know what the hell they are doing. Plus I have personal issues with their shop management from a past vehicle. Good luck.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:18 AM

I really appreciate the responses you all gave! It is great to get such help so fast. we were utterly baffled over here. We'll check out our local dealership here in Manhattan and the Wichita one to see who is cheaper. :+)

Last edited by 03firecracker; 10-14-2014 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:33 AM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

Don't forget about Long MacArthur in Salina. I haven't heard anything bad about them, but I'm not sure how big their service department is.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:48 AM

Will do. I forgot about them!
Old 10-14-2014, 11:12 AM

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolvee
PATS is effectively in 3 locations, Your ECU, your instrument cluster and your Key.

You can do a few things, Use your electronics board on the new cluster face. (Most ideal.)

Have a Stealership reprogram your system.

or

Use a handheld tuner like SCT and turn the PATS off completely.
I am going to thread jack real quick here. Do you think the electronics board would be compromised if the speedometer has stopped reading?
Old 10-14-2014, 11:25 AM

Received 426 Likes on 323 Posts

His problems seems extreme and using an already known broken clusters only benefit would be to be able to drive the truck.

I have never seen a cluster completely fry like he described without someone screwing with it.

A non responsive speedo on its own could be a few issues like the speed sensor, needle seat etc. If everything else is bad and not working then I'd venture a guess as the whole thing is bad, provided he's ruled out faulty wiring and band grounds.

Last edited by Wolvee; 10-14-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:59 AM

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolvee
His problems seems extreme and using an already known broken clusters only benefit would be to be able to drive the truck.

I have never seen a cluster completely fry like he described without someone screwing with it.

A non responsive speedo on its own could be a few issues like the speed sensor, needle seat etc. If everything else is bad and not working then I'd venture a guess as the whole thing is bad, provided he's ruled out faulty wiring and band grounds.
Well the reason I ask is because I have a non-responsive speedo and odometer. If I ever have a more spirited take off it will read for a second then fall back to zero.

I have replaced the vss to no avail.

I also have a signal from the sensor at the diag. port that reads true.

I suppose the question I mean to ask is how would I go about transplanting the board from my current cluster to the donor, as I have never heard of this method.

Quick Reply: Installed Salvaged Instrument Cluster, now truck won't start