Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Ignition locked, key wouldn't turn

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ignition locked, key wouldn't turn

I fiddled and farted around with moving the steering colum (an inch play) the shifter lever and held the brake pedal in and finally it released and the truck started. I'm unable to work on a vehicle but need some clues so the mechanic doesn't take me for a ride. If it's the tumbler do I have to have Ford do this as the key has a chip. The key looks a bit worn. Today's episode is the second time in two months.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Kill em all

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would first try a fresh cut key, go to walmart and have them do one with out the chip so you are not out of 80 dollars, if it unlocks the ignition with out a problem then you need a new key. If it is still stuck then yes you need a new tumbler, they are easy to replace, but the new keys will have to be programmed, if you have two I would think you can do it yourself.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Squishy Heads

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

that happened in my old ranger, I grabbed a pair of channel locks and just turned that mother ****er. It solved the problem of not being able to get my key to turn and NOTHING ever felt so damn good after sitting at a gas station pump for an HOUR fiddling with the damn thing. Got the channel locks out the toolbox and PRESTO! truck started, never happened again either.
The following users liked this post:
Blondie70 (02-03-2023)
Old 02-08-2011, 04:33 PM

Just had the same thing happen. Finally had to flood it with wd40 to get the tumblers unstuck. I took my old tumbler to the locksmith and he sold me a new one fitted to my key for about $50. Problem solved. You can pull the old tumbler out by turning to the on position then with a awl or nail type thing there is a hole in the plastic right below the ignition switch push the little release button. Might wiggle the switch a little at the same time. After it's out use a screwdriver to turn the ignition switch back off until ready to put the tumbler back. Do it before it gets really stuck! Hope this helps.

Matt
Old 02-03-2023, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by matter
Just had the same thing happen. Finally had to flood it with wd40 to get the tumblers unstuck. I took my old tumbler to the locksmith and he sold me a new one fitted to my key for about $50. Problem solved. You can pull the old tumbler out by turning to the on position then with a awl or nail type thing there is a hole in the plastic right below the ignition switch push the little release button. Might wiggle the switch a little at the same time. After it's out use a screwdriver to turn the ignition switch back off until ready to put the tumbler back. Do it before it gets really stuck! Hope this helps.

Matt
Just trying to clarify before I try this on my truck. I should spray wd40 directly into the key cylinder?
Old 02-07-2023, 04:19 PM

Received 187 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Cminor1968
Just trying to clarify before I try this on my truck. I should spray wd40 directly into the key cylinder?
I would not but that is me. That is what they did I guess, sprayed it straight in. I f you do just give it a quick shot, dont empty the can in it.
You do know that this is a very old thread?
You might be better to just start a new thread, include what vehicle you have. Year, model etc. Engine trans etc.
Old 02-07-2023, 07:10 PM

Received 1,264 Likes on 1,083 Posts

There are better than WD-40. I hosed down the inside of a crusty old distributor once and later when I had it apart again the remnants of the WD-40 had turned to goo.

https://www.acmelocksmith.com/articl...ck-lubricants/
Old 01-15-2024, 04:48 PM

Default Red neck hack

-6 was my morning temp. This doesn’t typically happen, the low temp or locked ignition cylinder.
Tried the usual stuff - tilting / turning steering wheel, etc. No dice.

So I’m thinking it’s the temp 🤔

Hair dryer for 5 min to warm up the tumblers and brake fluid sprayed on the key….. Bazinga!

Originally Posted by BareBonesXL
There are better than WD-40. I hosed down the inside of a crusty old distributor once and later when I had it apart again the remnants of the WD-40 had turned to goo.

https://www.acmelocksmith.com/articl...ck-lubricants/

Quick Reply: Ignition locked, key wouldn't turn