Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Ideas for a canoe rack

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas for a canoe rack

I got a 2001 lariat screw and 15 foot canoe that I would like to haul this summer. trucks 16.5 feet. I was wondering if yall had any ideas for how to build a rack. For some reason they didnt put holes in the four corners of my bed like most trucks (seems pretty stupid to me) and I think I'd have to either go out of the hitch or drill into the bed. I want to have two supports in the bed at least, secure it to the roof, and put a v strap on the front to the tow hooks. For now i'd like to do foam blocks but in time I want a roof rack and I could strap it to that. And any ideas for cool mods to our trucks I always love to hear. Thanks ya'll
Old 04-21-2015, 10:51 AM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...0035962&rid=20

I know the price is kinda steep, but with some fabricating skills you could make one for a LOT less. I made one YEARS ago for my old Ranger. Worked great for my little John Boat and I could load it myself with no problems. I used DOM tube, made an adjustable collar, and drilled for a pin. Loading was EASY. Lift one end onto the loader, then lift the other end and swing over the cab. Ratchet strap it all secure and drive away

Last edited by Raybz; 04-21-2015 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:56 AM
Title

Received 497 Likes on 414 Posts

I've made a couple. Pretty much what is in that Cabelas link.

Piece of tubing to go into the hitch with, tubing going up to level with the roof then a piece of tubing across with a couple eye hooks at the end.

Looks like a T from the back of the truck. Not rocket science, DEWEINERBOI

Last edited by Tackle; 04-21-2015 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks ya'll. After looking at it more in depth I'm definitely going with the hitch idea. These fiberglass beds are too jacked up to modify man, I really don't like em I'd rather Ford just made a typical bed with these trucks. But then again the fiberglass allows it to have nice body lines I guess

Quick Reply: Ideas for a canoe rack