Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

I would like some opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 02:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I would like some opinions

I've been thinking about buying something to get some better performance out of my truck. I have a 2002 Supercrew with a 5.4L in it. I'm really liking the idea of buying a programmer, but I'm not sure if I want that or maybe an exhaust. My truck is mostly stock with a few lighting upgrades, but nothing done to the engine or tranny. Also, is it worth buying a cold air intake or just doing the gots mod? Thanks.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:33 AM
December 2009 TOTM!

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Just do the Gotts mod, it's cheap to do and easy and will give you about the same performance gain as a CAI.

What do you want out of an exhaust? You can just chop the stock exhaust and run straight pipes. Nice and loud.. or buy a muffler and have a shop weld it on or do a custom exhaust. Much cheaper than a cat-back kit. I spent $340 or so on a Gibson cat-back, waste of my money.. very little sound, I did get 2mpg gain but I was not happy. I ended up going straight pipe.

Get a Gryphon for your programmer!! It's a rebadged EDGE made for Bill at Powerhungryperformance. Awesome! That's where you will feel the most power increase. Once you plug it in and hit the gas, you will be like," WOW..... This is a new truck!!!!" Best $400 I spent..
Old 02-05-2010, 04:37 AM

Well I'm very picky about the things I own. I spend a lot of money on my toys and I take care of them and I don't do shotty work on them. The idea of just chopping my exhaust and running it with a straight pipe doesn't appeal to me at all. I also live in an area where the cops like to hand out tickets for violating noise ordinance laws. I want a deep throaty sound, but nothing overbearing. I was thinking about having a custom exhaust done locally by a guy I know so we'll see what he can come up with. As far as the programmer, if I were to buy one I would definitely go with the Gryphon. I'm pretty sold on it. I've heard nothing but good things about it and the customer service.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:32 AM

Also, I was considering a lift for my truck. I don't want anything crazy..... 2-3" would do fine for me. I currently have some 285/70R17 Goodrich All Terrains on it and I like the tires. They do well enough for me in the snow and they look good. I was thinking about maybe getting some a little bigger. I don't want anything monstrous though. They make the same tire in a 315/70, which would be a small increase in diameter, but my concern is the width. That would put the tire at almost 12.5 inches wide (compared to my current 11.5 roughly). Does anyone have this wide of a tire on their trucks and do you have clearance issues? Is there a better tire out there that you would recommend? I live in Alaska so buying from a local dealer is almost a must because by the time I pay to ship tires up here I might as well support the local businesses. Thanks.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:09 AM
OVERTHINKER

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I would definitely recommend a programmer. I was just telling some guys yesterday how pleased I am with mine just because of the way it idles. I run performance mode and can't see not having one again.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:29 AM

I decided on getting a programmer for now (I'm actually filling out my order form for my Gryphon right now). I'm still curious about the tire size though. Should it be an issue? My current tires look like they are pretty tight as it is, but I have full steering travel.

Quick Reply: I would like some opinions