Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

I Need Some Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Need Some Help!

Ok, I am lost. I have a 97 with the 4.6.

So, about a week and a half ago my truck wont start. Call to have it jumped. They jump it and as soon as they take the pack off, it dies. Jump off vehicle battery, same thing. It wont stay running. Fortunately I was in Costco's parking lot. I bought a new one and put it in. Ran great for the short amount of time I drive for the next 3 days.
Last Monday, all the guages drop and it finally dies. Wont start nothing. So, I pulled the alternator and Kragen says its bad. I put a new one in. Again, limited driving following that, happens again. On the freeway, voltage guage slowly drops. I pulled over and sat there for a minute. All of a sudden the guage goes back up to show a good charge. So, I quickly get to a parking lot. By the time I get there, the voltage needle has fallen again to the bottom and once I shut it off, it wont start. Now, I have pulled the NEW alternator I just put it back out, take it to Kragen and am told it has failed. Ive retraced all the lines and everything looks fine, tight, and intact. Ive got another alternator in there but havent hooked up the belt yet. Will do that tomorrow. Im worried about the alternator...am I doing something and blowing it? I hope this all makes sense.

Thanks for reading this

Chris

Last edited by padsfan; 04-14-2008 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:40 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Take another look at all wiring. Lets start over. Check all wiring from Alternator to battery, battery to ground. More likely than not your original alternator failed. Engines will run if the battery is disconnected. The alternator will provide enough electric power to sustain engine operation. Now for all the critics, engine operation means just that, no fog lites, headlights, stereos. If you have a volt meter, after the new alternator is installed check and see what the voltage is at the battery. Should be 13.8 to 14.2 volts at engine idle. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a very similar issue with my Dodge 1500 and with my Jeep Grand Cherokee. New batteries, alt, work great for a week or so, Then would not stay running and was hard to start. ended up being battery cables in both cases. I had replaced the ends, on the Jeep, but had to replace the entire cable.

Hope that helps, not sure if its the same issue.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:35 PM
Ford Fan

Let's start simple, Check you fuses and realys. You have relays for the battery saver system, could be stuck. I am a big fan of checking these first, as they often fail. Visual Inspection Chart Mechanical Electrical
  • Battery case, posts, hold-down clamp, cables and connections for damage
  • Generator drive (serpentine) belt for condition and tension to make sure there is no slip between the belt and the pulley. For additional information, refer to Section 303-05 .
  • Battery charge
  • Generator pulley loose or bent
  • Battery junction box mega fuse
  • Battery junction box (BJB) fuses:
    • 2 (40A)
    • 13 (15A)
  • Central junction box (CJB) fuse:
    • 12 (15A)
  • Harness electrical connectors and connections (loose or corroded)
  • Charging system warning indicator
  • Missing grounds
  • Cables
  1. Check the operation of the charging system warning indicator lamp (instrument cluster). Normal operation is as follows:
    • With the ignition switch OFF, the charging system warning indicator should be OFF.
    • With the ignition switch in RUN and the engine off, the charging system warning indicator light should be on.
    • With the engine running, the charging system warning indicator light should be off.
  1. Verify the battery condition. Refer to Section 414-01 .

Normal Charging System Voltages and Charging System Warning Indicator Operation Ignition Switch Position A Circuit 36 (YE/WH) I Circuit 904 (LG/RD) Generator B+ Circuit 38 (BK/OG) Battery Engine to Battery Ground Charging System Warning Indicator Operation OFF 12 volts 0 volts 12 volts 12 volts 0 volts Off RUN-engine off 12 volts 1-3 volts 12 volts 12 volts 0 volts Illuminated RUN-engine running 13-
15 volts 13-
15 volts 13-
15 volts 13-
15 volts 0 volts Off
  1. If the customer concern is verified after the initial inspection, refer to the Symptom Chart to determine which tests to carry out.
Symptom Chart
Symptom Chart Condition Possible Sources Action
  • Battery is discharged or voltage is low
  • Corroded terminal(s).
  • Loose connection(s).
  • High key-off current drain(s).
  • Battery.
  • Generator.
  • The charging system warning indicator is on with the engine running (the system voltage does not increase)
  • Circuitry.
  • Voltage regulator.
  • Generator.
  • The system overcharges (battery voltage greater than 15.5 volts)
  • Circuitry.
  • Voltage regulator.
  • Generator.
  • The charging system warning indicator is on with the engine running and the system increases voltage
  • Circuitry.
  • Instrument cluster.
  • Voltage regulator.
  • Generator.
  • The charging system warning indicator is off with the ignition switch in the RUN position and the engine off
  • Bulb.
  • Circuitry.
  • Instrument cluster.
  • Voltage regulator.
  • Generator.
  • The charging system warning indicator flickers or is intermittent
  • Corroded terminal(s).
  • Fuse(s).
  • Circuitry.
  • Voltage regulator.
  • Generator.
  • The generator is noisy
  • Bolts or brackets.
  • Drive belt.
  • Generator or pulley.
  • Radio interference
  • Generator.
  • Circuitry.
  • In-vehicle entertainment system.

Pinpoint Tests
[IMG]file:///C:/TSO/tsocache/SAC281_6176/S1E~us~en~file=ani_caut.gif~gen~ref.gif[/IMG] CAUTION: Do not make jumper connections except as directed. Incorrect connections may damage the voltage regulator test terminals, fuses, or fuse links.
[IMG]file:///C:/TSO/tsocache/SAC281_6176/S1E~us~en~file=ani_caut.gif~gen~ref.gif[/IMG] CAUTION: Do not allow any metal object to come in contact with the generator housing and internal diode cooling fins.
NOTE: All voltage measurements are referenced to the negative (-) battery post unless otherwise specified.
NOTE: When the battery has been disconnected and reconnected, some abnormal drive symptoms may occur while the powertrain control module (PCM) relearns its fuel trim. The vehicle may need to be driven to relearn the strategy

Now the section on the DVD for the charging system is huge, i could not even attempt ot send the whole thing. Check your relays, grounds and the above, and let me know if it leads you to another section
Old 06-06-2009, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Dr_Madd
I had a very similar issue with my Dodge 1500 and with my jeep parts. New batteries, alt, work great for a week or so, Then would not stay running and was hard to start. ended up being battery cables in both cases. I had replaced the ends, on the Jeep, but had to replace the entire cable.

Hope that helps, not sure if its the same issue.
My uncle is also having the same problem with his Dodge. Does anybody know what is the specific area we should look at?

Last edited by zacknolden; 06-08-2009 at 09:45 PM.