Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

I need help installing the oil dipstick tube!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I need help installing the oil dipstick tube!

I will start by saying I normally don't ask for help. It is not that I don't want or won't accept it, it's just that part of the fun is figuring it out! I have search and have not come across anyone with my same issue so I thought I would post it and put some of the ideas I have to fix my issue.

The problem: new dipstick install!

It sounds like an easy task, especially when compared to putting on long tube headers, installing the Lightning exhaust, and removing the broken dipstick tube (I used a bolt, and wrench to remove the old). And I triple checked to make sure I got the old tube out.

While trying to install the first new dipstick tube I threw a good ole adult tantrum and broke it, now that I am on the second new one I am trying to use some finesse. When trying to push the new one in the block, jusy before it gets deep enough for the oring to touch the landing the tube meets resistance all the way around the perimeter. I know this because of the black paint being worn off. The old tube had rust the hole depth so I am assuming there is build up keeping it from going all the way in. The tube is not hitting anything giving resistance it is all inside the hole and I am lined up good.

My possible solutions:
I have thought about taking some small brass bristled brushes I have and running them in and out of the hole to clean the bore. And even using a small round file to lightly run up and down to clean any rust/grime out. Then changing the oil after it is in. (The thought of the nastiness that could remain in the oilpan makes me cringe).

I have also considered rigging a combination of things to push around the shoulder that should sit against the landing. But I am sure it wouldn't take too much to break it there.

The last option is to throw another adult tantrum and feel like a jackass again!

I am thinking option one is what I am going with but I figured since I was walking away from it for the night I would post here and see if anyone has any ideas.
I am open to all suggestions and thank you for reading my post. Also if anyone has any questions about the long tube stainless box headers or the stainless lightning exhaust feel free to ask, I know people on here have done it but I never could find a post where people posted very much about how they did it on a supercrew. I did mine in the driveway with stuff I bought on eBay, nothing custom bent nothing special except the $$$$ Thank you guys again!
Old 09-15-2015, 09:41 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I like the brass brush idea. Maybe you could put it in the chuck to a drill (think gun cleaning kit brass rods). It would make the job a lot quicker and more effective.

-Kirk
The following users liked this post:
Bflener (09-15-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 10:02 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Just my opinion but I doubt it is built up gunk stopping the tube from going in. My guess is there is either a piece of the old tube still in there stopping you or the new tube is too long. It's not uncommon for parts to have slight modifications to them over the years. How much are you talking about? I would rather shave the end of the new tube than run the risk of pushing something into the oil pan.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:28 PM

Default I agree

Originally Posted by kirklandkie
I like the brass brush idea. Maybe you could put it in the chuck to a drill (think gun cleaning kit brass rods). It would make the job a lot quicker and more effective.

-Kirk
That is exactly what I was thinking. And the benefit there is my brass bristle brush has the bristles in a threaded pattern so I could have the direction of the drill pulling the debris out. It won't keep it all out but should a lot of it!
Old 09-15-2015, 10:33 PM

Default I thought the same thing originally

Originally Posted by 03Mach1
Just my opinion but I doubt it is built up gunk stopping the tube from going in. My guess is there is either a piece of the old tube still in there stopping you or the new tube is too long. It's not uncommon for parts to have slight modifications to them over the years. How much are you talking about? I would rather shave the end of the new tube than run the risk of pushing something into the oil pan.
I still have my old piece and I got it all out. My restriction starts where the tube goes from the smaller size and tapers up to the larger. It has rubbed all the paint off and each time after I try to work the tube in it has a rusty oil all over it.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

1) shave new tube down at the end as mentioned
2) find a slightly smaller size oring
3) honestly, just need to force it in.

I didn't replace, but removed and reinstalled both the oil tube, and the transmission dipstick tube while rebuilding both motor/tranny.

The tranny was a bitch. I tried forcing it from the top and it didn't do any good. I actually ended up using pliers to grab ahold of the tube near the tranny, and then used a flathead to pru the angle of the pliers to force it in.

Don't remember the oil tube being a pita though, was pretty easy if I remember
Old 09-16-2015, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Holicori
1) shave new tube down at the end as mentioned
2) find a slightly smaller size oring
3) honestly, just need to force it in.

I didn't replace, but removed and reinstalled both the oil tube, and the transmission dipstick tube while rebuilding both motor/tranny.

The tranny was a bitch. I tried forcing it from the top and it didn't do any good. I actually ended up using pliers to grab ahold of the tube near the tranny, and then used a flathead to pru the angle of the pliers to force it in.

Don't remember the oil tube being a pita though, was pretty easy if I remember
It's in! I used the brass brush to clean it out oiled it up and used some gentle love taps via an adjustable wrench and a hammer. I took it for a spin and it sounds good! I do have to add sound deadening on my list, at 75-80 going down the interstate it is screaming! It sounds great, it's just a little loud in the cab.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:15 AM

Received 176 Likes on 139 Posts
Default I need help installing the oil dipstick tube!

Originally Posted by Bflener
It's in! I used the brass brush to clean it out oiled it up and used some gentle love taps via an adjustable wrench and a hammer. I took it for a spin and it sounds good! I do have to add sound deadening on my list, at 75-80 going down the interstate it is screaming! It sounds great, it's just a little loud in the cab.
These trucks don't like cruising 75-80 anyway. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:04 PM

Default I set the cruise on 75-80 all the time

Originally Posted by the01kingranch
These trucks don't like cruising 75-80 anyway. I wouldn't worry about it.
I have about 20 miles to work both ways that is all interstate and I am doing 75-80 the whole time....

Quick Reply: I need help installing the oil dipstick tube!