Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

How to remove radiator from 99 F150

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 08:46 PM
Bleeds FORD Blue

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to remove radiator from 99 F150

Hey guys. Im trying to figure out how to remove the radiator from my F150, 5.4. Also trying to figure out which one I need when I go to replace it. Just getting a head start on this project. My Haynes manual tells me most of the stuff I need to know, but just want make sure I dont miss anything. I pulled the plastic cover over top of the radiator, so I could see down the front of it. I see the actual radiator thats leaking, but whats the other big finned radiator type thing infront of it? Then I have two other smaller coolers infront and below that. I assume its tranny and oil coolers. What do I need to disconnect? I know the tranny cooler lines. But I have two lines running over and under eachother, on the passenger side, with flare nuts, that go to the front radiator type thing, not the actual radiator thats leaking. Also, do I need to remove the fan, or just the fan shroud? I just want to make sure I disconnect the right lines, so this can be as easy as possible. I wouldnt think replacing the radiator would be all that hard. And Im not sure what everything is. I just know I have more things than the manual shows. Anyone replace their radiator on the 97-03 model?
Old 04-19-2009, 06:42 PM
Bleeds FORD Blue

Anyone?
Old 04-19-2009, 07:00 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Sorry Cole been out of town. The other finned thing and hoses, is for the AC. Do not disturb that. Proceedure on the older buggies was to remove the fan and clutch with the fan shroud. Now the whole aft side of the radiator is exposed, bolts for the radiator are from the rear towards the front. Bottom two were loosened a turn, this would hold the radiator up while the top two bolts are removed. The bottom two attach points are notched, if I'm making any sense at all. And then again, thats how it used to be done. Don't hesitate to ask as I'm back in town.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:49 PM
Bleeds FORD Blue

Okay, I will leave that alone, thanks. I was looking through my manual, and it seems to be exactly the way you describe it, but I have a few other lines to disconnect. I know I have two for the tranny cooler, but Im not exactly sure where the oil cooler lines are. Just dont want to disconnect any lines that I dont need to. And if Im reading right,the manual does not say anything about removing the fan and clutch. Im going to need to do some investigating.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:55 PM
Bleeds FORD Blue

Okay, did some reading lol. It does say remove the fan clutch and shroud before the radiator comes out. Im sure the tools cant be that expensive at an auto parts store. But yea, it says remove the fan clutch, shroud, and degas bottle.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:26 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

What is a degas bottle? Perhaps its another name for the overflow tank that I call it. Don't know where the oil cooler lines are attached, but yes anything connected to the radiator has to come loose and let hang, no need to remove both ends of the same line. You mentioned tools, there is absolutely nothing wrong with craftsman tools although I prefer an SK ratchet. For all this and most work around the engine bay or under instrument panel start with a 1/4 drive set.

Quick Reply: How to remove radiator from 99 F150