Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

How To Make It Faster??

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 06:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How To Make It Faster??

I have a 1997 f-150 with the 4.6l triton that's slow as hell. I'm not expecting any incredible gains but what could I do to make it faster? Already have done the gotts intake mod and zip tie mod. Thanks!

Brandon
Old 08-30-2015, 06:05 PM

Received 399 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by KnightIRD
I have a 1997 f-150 with the 4.6l triton that's slow as hell. I'm not expecting any incredible gains but what could I do to make it faster? Already have done the gotts intake mod and zip tie mod. Thanks!

Brandon
Buy a sports car or push it off a cliff. Street racer level 0
Old 08-30-2015, 06:24 PM

😂😂 looking for more of a serious reply but well played.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:40 PM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

You won't ever notice the petty stuff. Maybe an improvement in driveability but that's about it. At the moment I'm having my tail gate painted and my carpet is out getting cleaned and I have just the drivers seat in. Probably 250-300 pounds lighter. Gotts mod, 4.10 gears, catless, straight piped exhaust..it's still slow as *****.

If you want to improve how it feels to drive you can get gears, long tube headers, tune and shave some weight however you see fit but to actually go fast you're going to want to go forced induction. You will probably get answers telling you otherwise but I feel like anything else will just disappoint you.

Edit: you could look into the pi head and intake swap seeing as you have a 97. I'm not sure I would run boost with the swap as is because you will net a higher compression ratio that may not be safe for boost.

Last edited by ScrewThat; 08-30-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:40 PM

Received 426 Likes on 323 Posts

Vortech Supercharger kits are pretty cheap and easy.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:46 PM

Received 185 Likes on 179 Posts

5.4 Lightning engine should do ya. Nah, scrap that idea, LS1 swap all day long.

How many miles are on the truck? Certain things could be plugged or dirty so it is slowing you down. Check things like your throttle body, make sure that's clean, make sure the little MAF sensor is clean, make sure the cats are clear, etc.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by ScrewThat
You won't ever notice the petty stuff. Maybe an improvement in driveability but that's about it. At the moment I'm having my tail gate painted and my carpet is out getting cleaned and I have just the drivers seat in. Probably 250-300 pounds lighter. Gotts mod, 4.10 gears, catless, straight piped exhaust..it's still slow as *****.

If you want to improve how it feels to drive you can get gears, long tube headers, tune and shave some weight however you see fit but to actually go fast you're going to want to go forced induction. You will probably get answers telling you otherwise but I feel like anything else will just disappoint you.

Edit: you could look into the pi head and intake swap seeing as you have a 97. I'm not sure I would run boost with the swap as is because you will net a higher compression ratio that may not be safe for boost.
I was looking into a pi head and intake swap, but couldn't find info on it. Any links to point me into the right direction?

Originally Posted by Wolvee
Vortech Supercharger kits are pretty cheap and easy.
Thought about a S/C or Turbo, wasn't sure if internals could handle boost as is.

Originally Posted by Red-Ford
5.4 Lightning engine should do ya. Nah, scrap that idea, LS1 swap all day long.

How many miles are on the truck? Certain things could be plugged or dirty so it is slowing you down. Check things like your throttle body, make sure that's clean, make sure the little MAF sensor is clean, make sure the cats are clear, etc.

Lightning swap is still on the chalkboard. 250 some thousand miles, throttle body was recently cleaned, as well as EGR and MAF. Also replaced DPFE sensor a while ago, unsure on Cats. Manifolds are shot, so I was thinking about Headers but I hate that little yellow light on my dash.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:18 PM

Received 521 Likes on 293 Posts

Make sure it's running at peak condition. Then maybe gears. My 4.6 is not fast but it runs well and I never find myself thinking it's sluggish.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:23 PM

Received 185 Likes on 179 Posts

I have the 4.6 as well and up until I decided to shove 35's on it and stick with the stock 3.55 gears, I never thought of it as sluggish. Then again, the only other things I could compare it to was my brothers '96 Dodge 1500, and my moms '96 Aerostar lol.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:34 PM

I got beat by a 99 suburban that has a misfiring cylinder last night.....

Quick Reply: How To Make It Faster??