Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.
View Poll Results: How long does it take you to detail or wash?
Less than 30 minutes
0%
A Hour
9.09%
2-3
51.52%
4-5
18.18%
I clean it till its perfect, 6+
18.18%
Whats a car wash?
3.03%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

How long does it take you to detail? And how I did it

Old 11-20-2010, 11:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How long does it take you to detail? And how I did it

I know not many people probably detail their trucks, but if you do how long does it take you? And weird looks from neighbors? haha

I spent 8 hours today. But I have had it for a week, and bet this has never been done before, hopefully it will be faster for now on.

Products:
-Black Magic Wheel Cleaner
-Black Magic Tire Wet GEL
-Meguiar's Ultimiate Compound
-Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit
-Meguiars NXT Tech Wax 2.0 (awesome stuff)
-MicroFiber Mit, to wash car
-A synthetic shammy for cars

Stuff like tinted safe glass cleaner, about 5 microfiber applicators pads(for the wax, compound, etc), vacuum, fresh air stuff, and car shampoo.

This was ALL done by hand

THE WASH:

Well I used the 2 bucket method. Use one bucket for rinsing off the mit, then the other with water and car shampoo, to minimize scratching.
That takes about 30 minutes, really to get off dust and dirt.

I sprayed the wheels down and allowed the wheel cleaner to sit for about 1 minute. I rinsed and dried them.

Now its time for claybar, this took 2 in half hours. But this was its first time ever done, after using this, I must say this is a MUST for any of you out there. I also claybared the roof. Which was the longest part, cause it takes so much sun/damage. If you drop the bar throw it out, or the bad piece. It will scratch. BE CAREFUL

After that I used the compound on all my lights, cause they were gathering a yellow haze. Mainly my reverse and bed lights.

Now my wheel cleaner was so strong, it looked like it left hard water marks. So I took a white T and used the ultimate compound and rubbed it on each rim, one spoke at a time. Don't let it sit or its hard to take off. Then flipped it over and buffed them out. For 4 wheels- 30 minutes.

I waxed the truck, dropped the applicator pads 4 times! Only had 5, if you drop it USE a different pad. You will get dirt on it and scratch the paint. When waxing go in a horizontal, or vertical motion as well as when buffing off.
I waxed the whole truck, including the roof. Then buffed this took a hour. I had to lie belly flat on roof to reach some places. Cars driving by thought I was crazy...lol

Then I vacuumed the interior, cleaner the glass, especially outside of windshield to get of those wiper marks. Did the mirrors. Now don't forget to roll down the windows to get the gunk off the top. Oh and use a new tooth rush to get in all cracks, and like a/c vents, etc.

Use the tire gel on all tires, then move truck a foot to get the part of tires that I couldn't get from last position.

I put the fresh air gel thing double side tape under my seat out the way. And done!

It was totally WORTH IT, the reflection it perfect. The paint is super smooth, like smooth as glass. Mainly claybar did that.

And make sure to do your roof, mine looked dull and rough, but when I got done it was just as good as the rest of my truck.

I'll post some before and after pics. Wow even this turned out to be long.

The left hand side is after the wax is buffed off

If you swipe your finger with the wax on and if it goes through like this, it means you can take it off now. If it smudges its not time. Also the longer you wait the easier it comes off. So just apply the whole car, then take it all off.

And here are the products I used

It coast about $100 for all the products and eight ours of time. If you have ANYTHING to do, like go out for something at a certain time, don't do this. You want to have all the time you want to make it perfect.

$100 is totally worth it. If you think about it, spending $15 at a machine that scratches your paint. After 6 washes you spent $100. And if you do it yourself it looks WAY better, the products last for months, and its done right.

If you do what I did. It will take a while the first time. Then once a week spray it down and use the mit WITHOUT soap. This will get rid of the dust and light dirt. The water will beed up cause of wax, then shammy rest off. Once a month or longer if you have a garage just do all this again. But should be faster, 1st time is longest.

TRY IT OUT!

Last edited by apoirier594; 11-21-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks real nice, 8 hours is correct if you want to do it right. Did you take off the tires and scrub the inside of the rims and the inside of the tires. Clean the wheel wells? Tire shine products works real nice on the wheel wells, you might like the way it looks. Did you detail the engine? I scrub my calipers and cailper brackets while the tires are off, calipers and brackets are red, looks great through the rims.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by sharptp
Looks real nice, 8 hours is correct if you want to do it right. Did you take off the tires and scrub the inside of the rims and the inside of the tires. Clean the wheel wells? Tire shine products works real nice on the wheel wells, you might like the way it looks. Did you detail the engine? I scrub my calipers and cailper brackets while the tires are off, calipers and brackets are red, looks great through the rims.
I did the engine. And while I was cleaning my rims I was like wow, look at all the brake dust inside of them. I have a crappy jack, didn't feel like it. My dad has a bunch of jack stands, or I can go on the base by his house and they have a car lift, only $2 a hour. So in 2 weeks when I see him I plan on taking the rims off to do the inside.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by apoirier594
I did the engine. And while I was cleaning my rims I was like wow, look at all the brake dust inside of them. I have a crappy jack, didn't feel like it. My dad has a bunch of jack stands, or I can go on the base by his house and they have a car lift, only $2 a hour. So in 2 weeks when I see him I plan on taking the rims off to do the inside.
I take the rims off twice a year to clean the insides and also to do maintenance on my brakes!(grease slide pins, look for uneven pad wear, make sure the pads aren't sticking to the caliper brackets due to corrosion, etc)
Old 11-21-2010, 03:38 PM
98 2wd 4.2

i used to work at a detail shop and i remember when it would take 2 guys 7 or 8 hours on an extended cab. when i don my truck it takes around 6 or 7 hours. but i have vinal floor and not alot of options so it makes it easier. you know i hate when people just keep ablying armoral or black magic on there dash and door panels with out cleaning them. drives me nuts. lol.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:02 PM
Beast

i use leather cleaner and protectant on the vinal in my front fenderwells.. makes mud and road dirt wash right off. and typically i spend a whole day cleaning my truck.... just because i stand and stare at it for most of the time! haha
Old 11-21-2010, 09:35 PM

The reason the thread looked so long is cause I copied it, and mistakenly pasted it. So it was 2X as long, fixed it now.

Same here. Noticed I have been looking at her a lot more. haha
Old 11-21-2010, 09:42 PM

Nice job, I also use the Megs clay kit... but please stop calling it a car!
Old 11-21-2010, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by david350
Nice job, I also use the Megs clay kit... but please stop calling it a car!
When I was writing this up, I was thinking, write truck. I just fixed it. No more car
Old 11-22-2010, 12:16 AM
Geek-a-saurus Rex

Those are definitely some nice pictures of a very nice looking truck! Way to go!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How long does it take you to detail? And how I did it