Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

How do i Take apart my Dash to Replace my Dashlight Bulbs???

Old 04-02-2010, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb How do i Take apart my Dash to Replace my Dashlight Bulbs???

I need help!! lol my dash lights have gone out well not all of them just the left side of my dash is out. So at night time i cant see my temp gauge oil gauge fuel gauge or my voltage gauge. Only thing i can see is my speed and RPMs. So has anyone ever done that before take the dash completely apart to get to the lights behind everything? I really dont have any idea even where to start to take apart my dash. So if anyone has pictures or just general info on how to do that i would really appreciate it. And has anyone put an aftermarket dash in? if so what kind and how does it look? Did it come with new lights for behind the dash cause i know some aftermarket dashes come with color changing schemes... So if anyone can help me out that would be awesome thanks guys and keep the post comin.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:12 AM

I replaced some of mine earlier this week. On my 97 f150 I didn't have take the whole dash out, only a few pieces. Let me know what year your truck is and then maybe I could help you a little more, if you have a dash like mine I could definatly be of some help.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:11 PM

i have a 98 F150 lariat 5.4L
Old 04-04-2010, 01:09 AM

First you will need a 8mm and 7mm socket with a extension and wratched to do this. First remove the trim around the steering colomn, you can pop this piece off with a flathead screwdriver. Second remove the screws out of the knee blocker plate, which is located below the steering colomn. you will have to remove your headlight switch from the knee blocker piece and the little panel around the switch with a small screwdriver, and unplug the wires to it to remove one of the screws. There are 3 screws that hold it in place at the bottom and I think 2 at the top and 1 behind the headlight switch (you will see it when the small headlight switch panel is removed). Last of all remove the screws to the instrument bezel, there should be 3 screws for it right at the top above the instrument cluster and 1 on each side of the steering wheel. Remove it and then you have easy access to your instrument cluster. From there if you have a automatic pop out the indicators that contain your drive, reverse, etc. I don't know what you will need to remove it, I didn't have to, cause I have a manual shift. You may have enough room to slide your hand in there to disconnect the wire clusters in the back and replace the bulbs without having to take that out though. Hope I helped. Let me know if you need any help.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:12 AM

I forgot, you will have to undo the hood latch and brake latch to get the knee blocker plate out. Just remove the screws to it, not very hard. One of the screws is located under the latch, so if you pull it you will see it.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:26 AM

hey thanks ryan that was helpful was working on a customers 1997 ford f150 and i didnt know how to take it apart with ur step by step directions i was able to do the job thanks again

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do i Take apart my Dash to Replace my Dashlight Bulbs???