Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

How to clean your headlight lens!

Old 01-25-2012, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to clean your headlight lens!

Believe it or not I just discovered a cheap and easy way to clear that cloudy headlight lens! There's a guy who calls himself "The headlight Doctor" that sets up a table in front of a lube shop near my workplace. He gets $30 to buff out a pair of headlights and yes, they look like new when he gets done. I thought I could do almost as well for a lot less so I set out at my local Lowe's to get a can of rubbing compound when I stumbled onto another product. Since it was made to take out simple scratches I knew it must contain some sort of fine abrasive and maybe a solvent and took a gamble on it.

Here's the result after only one five-minute effort per lens (it was getting dark):

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Nite Shot:

What it is:

Yep, Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0. It was around $8 at Lowe's and they knocked off $3 because the cap was cracked (contents were fine). All I did was squirt a dime sized blob on some cheesecloth and spent about three minutes rubbing it on the lens without even removing it from the truck. I went back over it with a clean piece of cheesecloth a couple minutes later to lightly buff it out and it came out way cleaner than I expected. I think another application will probably do it. Give it a try!
Old 01-25-2012, 08:31 PM

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Be sure to re seal your headlights, when you resurfaced them you removed the protective layer. If you don't seal them, they'll look cloudy again in no time.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ObsoleteE
Be sure to re seal your headlights, when you resurfaced them you removed the protective layer. If you don't seal them, they'll look cloudy again in no time.
This stuff seems to leave some sort of coating but I expect to redo it a couple times a year. How would you reseal them?
Old 01-25-2012, 08:35 PM

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

There are a bunch of headlight sealant products out there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to clean your headlight lens!