Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

hooking radio to accessory delay power

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default hooking radio to accessory delay power

I added a dnx8120 nav system but when I am talking on the bluetooth and turn off my truck the radio turns off. I was thinking it might work to hook this to the power window circuit since this would seem to delay turning off the power until I open the dorr, but it looks difficult to splice in at the fuse box. Anyone have any suggestions?
Thx
Old 05-30-2008, 11:27 AM
FULL BLOODED AMERICAN!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the site!!!

First off what year is your truck?? When I turn my truck off my radio/nav/dvd stays on for 10 minutes OR until one of the 4 doors are opened which cuts the power. You may have something wire up wrong.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Triton v8
Welcome to the site!!!

First off what year is your truck?? When I turn my truck off my radio/nav/dvd stays on for 10 minutes OR until one of the 4 doors are opened which cuts the power. You may have something wire up wrong.
Sorry about that. It is a 2001 super crew. The new models included the radio in the delay power so they work. Mine never left the factory radio on once the key was out. I was going to try to tap into the power window fuse since that leaves the power on until the doors open but didn't know if there is an easier way.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That would work just buy a little thing that turns one fuse into two and hook the remote power on wire into it.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by jacobs4x4
That would work just buy a little thing that turns one fuse into two and hook the remote power on wire into it.
I was sort of worried about the extra current draw on the fuse, but on the window circuit it should be hardy enough I would hope..
Old 06-02-2008, 03:14 PM

Check if the fuse is for a relay which it probably is. If is is then there is barley any curent draw. And the radio remote power is just a relay inside the radio which conects the batt power directly to the radio drawing barley any curent to. So you should be fine. I have my fog light relay hooked up to my radio fuse so that they go off with the truck and have had no problem.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:51 PM
crush a little car today

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The piggy back is like $9 and comes with several fuses but your limited to 10 amps max.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:21 PM

If you just put the original fuse in the spot for the main on the piggy back and you will only need the smallest fuse that comes in the package for your added circuit. You are only energizing the coil in the relay so you are drawing almost no extra curent which should not hurt the circuit.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by jacobs4x4
If you just put the original fuse in the spot for the main on the piggy back and you will only need the smallest fuse that comes in the package for your added circuit. You are only energizing the coil in the relay so you are drawing almost no extra curent which should not hurt the circuit.
I'm not going to run the relay, I'm going to run the radio which is on a 15amp circuit. I plan on piggybacking on the power window fuse which I hope is on the accessory delay. There were a couple of power window fuses, one was a maxi and one a mini. Hopefully the mini will do what I want so the littlefuse thing will work.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:56 PM

Thought I would give an update on this.
I couldn't piggyback the fuse because on the supercrew it is not a small mini or maxi fuse, it is a large metal can fuse. I ended up building a small circuit with a relay and a delay switch built from an RC and a mosfet. It holds the power on for a few seconds which is all I need. By changing the RC in the circuit you could make it hold on for much longer.
If anyone wants me to post the circuit, I will.

Quick Reply: hooking radio to accessory delay power