Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 1997 - 2003 Ford F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Old 09-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Homemade exhaust

I was painting the undercarriage of my truck when I thought to myself what would happen if I cut my exhaust.. Has anyone done this before? my goal is to give it a louder sound, I know if it works its not going to be a flowmaster or borla sounding rumble but anything is better then a truck that sounds like a vacuum.

The redline on the picture shows where the cut would be made.
Attached Thumbnails
Homemade exhaust-2013-09-10_17-13-40_420.jpg  
Nickjames1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
Single & ready to mingle

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)

Uh you might hear a little difference but it will be extremely minor. You do realize that big thing to the right is the muffler?

You have a real clean underside btw.
My member is dropped 6"s

Last edited by Tackle; 09-10-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Tackle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackle View Post
Uh you might hear a little difference but it will be extremely minor. You do realize that big thing to the right is the muffler?
No I thought it was the gas tank.. lol. Yeah but I hate the way the exhaust looks coming off the back of the truck and I figure there might be some sort of sound improvement. I don't want to cut before the muffler because I don't know if it will mess up the back pressure if there is any? plus then it will just sound like crap.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
Single & ready to mingle

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)

Yes, it will sound like crap if you cut it off. Buy an aftermarket muffler, they are cheap. $30-100. Will give you a nice tone.
My member is dropped 6"s
Tackle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:36 AM   #5
Certified Bad Ass

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickjames1 View Post

No I thought it was the gas tank.. lol. Yeah but I hate the way the exhaust looks coming off the back of the truck and I figure there might be some sort of sound improvement. I don't want to cut before the muffler because I don't know if it will mess up the back pressure if there is any? plus then it will just sound like crap.
Don't listen to tackle man. He's as anti straight pipes as it gets. Cut it off before the muffler and put a pipe in its place. With the four cats our trucks have the truck has plenty of back pressure And isnt as loud and cracky as the normal "straight pipe sound. I had a magna flow and cut it off and put a pipe in its place. Both were single exit out the back with a 4 inch tip. The magna flow wasnt real loud but so so clean. With a pipe in its place the truck is only moderately louder and still fairly clean sounding
Truck Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Truck Norris For This Useful Post:
Jackedup00 (09-14-2013)
Old 09-11-2013, 12:40 AM   #6

Cut it off and put a flowmaster outlaw on it. And it won't sound like crap it will sound really good and on these 5.4L if you cut the muffler off and throw on an outlaw you will have more than enough back pressure.. don't even worry about that. Go to pkumar1923 and I have videos up of what it would sound like.
flowmaster23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowmaster23 View Post
Cut it off and put a flowmaster outlaw on it. And it won't sound like crap it will sound really good and on these 5.4L if you cut the muffler off and throw on an outlaw you will have more than enough back pressure.. don't even worry about that. Go to pkumar1923 and I have videos up of what it would sound like.
That's what im looking for im gonna get right on that. Where did you get yours and how much was it?
Old 09-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Don't put the flowmaster on!!! Unless you like the head piecing drone that comes with it. I did I straight swap with a magnaflow maganapack, it has a nice deep rubble at idle, it sounds loud and strong with acceleration, and you cant even tell its there when cruising. There's no headaces with straits through mufflers, unlike chambered ones like flowmasters. Straight throughs sound smoother to me also, most of the flowmasters I have heard sound hollow. Do some research on you tube and look at 18 or 14 inch magnaflow mufflers, the 4x14 magnapack, the xr1, or dynomax bullets. Everyone is gonna tell you to stay away from the magnapack, xr1, and bullets cause they will say its to loud bit most of those people have high flow cats. If you keep your stock cats and go with any of the mufflers its not gonna be to loud. I have stock cats and just cut out the stock muffler and put a magnapack in its place and used the same tail pipe, but if you into the no tailpipe look then just put a dump after the muffler.
http://www.f150forum.com/f78/2thousand5-4s-build-236643
2thousand5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackle View Post
You have a real clean underside btw.
Tackle!!! I can't believe you're checking out his underside!!
mkraffert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #10
Complete Asshat

Also, make sure you actually port your exhaust out the side of your truck. Or out the back. Don't just stop it at your red line. It's not really good to have all that warm humid air being shot at your rear end components, plus your spare tire might melt / crack / breakdown on the side facing the exhaust and will be unusable when you actually need it.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:24 PM