Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Hesitation issue back, maf wiring or ecm?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitation issue back, maf wiring or ecm?

I checked out the voltage on my maf wiring this morning, the tan/blue wire is only showing 5 volts, I believe it's supposed to be around 12. I'm going to try and run a jump wire from where ever that wire starts to the maf before I think about replacing the ecm.... Anyone know where that wire starts from? Thanks
Old 06-12-2015, 12:41 PM

Received 5,562 Likes on 4,638 Posts

So you have some history with this one, I mean why did you start a new thread? Who knows what you have done or what brought you here ?

Do you have an old thread with all this info? Pretty hard to help when you begin a new thread with an ongoing problem.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:47 PM

Ya there was an old thread but it was asking about 02 sensor live data... Sorry I should have continued that one.

The truck had all kinds of little things wrong with it, I didn't want to start another big thread, I just wanted to know why the tan/blue wire only had 5 volts...

Last edited by mufflerbearing; 06-12-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:37 PM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

No sensors run on 12 volts. Maf is 5 volts. You have 0 clue what your doing. Take it to a professional before you screw it up.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:19 PM

Wow that was an ignorant comment. Thanks for the advice...I was following directions on the sticky thread on here on how to test for an issue. I'm disabled, I haven't worked in 8 months and I refuse to apply for disability...so I can't afford to throw parts at it or bring it to a shop ..I was trying to see if it was something simple like a broken wire...thanks for the help though...
Old 06-12-2015, 06:25 PM

Test 3: Checking for Ground from the ECM
You will need to turn the ignition on for this test!
Once again connect the Red cable from your DMM to the + battery terminal. Then prob the Tan/Light Blue wire the black cable from the DMM. You should once again see ~12V. If not, ECM or wiring issue.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by mufflerbearing
Test 3: Checking for Ground from the ECM
You will need to turn the ignition on for this test!
Once again connect the Red cable from your DMM to the + battery terminal. Then prob the Tan/Light Blue wire the black cable from the DMM. You should once again see ~12V. If not, ECM or wiring issue.
I apologize. The MAF runs on 5 volts. What kind of hesitation an when exactly does it occur. I also forgot the engine size and year model.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:46 PM

Thank you for the apology..

It's a 97, 4.6. It's got Gibson headers, true duals, cold air intake..

What happens is sometimes it smokes black first thing in the morn and it guttless till it goes away, and the rest of the time it's sluggish through all the rpms. It's got new fuel filter, wires, PVC, air filter...no vaccum leaks...

I did find a bad ground today..but fixed it. Cleaned the maf... I'm leaning towards iac now? Or the pcm is buggered.. Like I said I don't have a lot of money to just start replacing parts so I've been trying to diagnose it so I know for sure the part I do buy will fix the issue
Old 06-12-2015, 06:55 PM

What diameter exhaust piping are you using? If its to large it will the exhaust scavenging capabilities and makes the engine work harder to expel the exhaust gases. Mine will have a slight puff of black smoke under cold enrichment.

I'd willing to bet the PCM has a P0600. Which is a RAM memory fault and will wreak havoc on how the truck runs.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:59 PM

Its the factory piping of the manifolds/headers that were modified after the cats.. And it dosnt looked bumped up in size after that. Ive scanned it before and no codes, I'll scan it again tonight and get back to you. Thanks for the help and input

Quick Reply: Hesitation issue back, maf wiring or ecm?