Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Help with Rerplacement Keys..

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 06:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Help with Rerplacement Keys..

So I go and order some new PATS keys from an online retailer, arrive as promised, and I am all set to Program them... only problem is No one will Cut them, I have tried, ACE, HD Lowes, Menards. All same the same thing... we dont program chipped keys because they dont want to be responsible if I fry the ECU. I explain to them that I just need the key cut, even offer to provide proof of ownership or sign a waiver or whatever, Still get a stern No.

They look at me funny when I say I am able to program them myself. All say go to Dealer or find a locksmith. What a PITA this is turnung out to be. Has anyone had a recent experience with this?

Also I got me thinking.... is the ecu THAT senstive to being reprogrammed that no one will touch them? Just wanna get some spare keys made..
Old 01-06-2009, 08:38 PM
OVERTHINKER

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Go to your local Ford dealer and ask the guy in parts who they use as a locksmith, that's how I found the guy I use. Long story short PATS system sucks
Old 01-07-2009, 12:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i agree that the PATS system are troublesome. but it saved my old expy from being stolen. the dealer near me had a special where they had PATS keys for like $25. when i was doing the same thing with my Jeep, i found a guy at the local mall that made keys. i just explained to him my situation & he was going to cut it for me, but he wanted like $15 or something like that. one guy did it at the local lowes, but he wasnt supposed to. he just didnt think anything of it. i went back to get another one cut & they told me no.

Quick Reply: Help with Rerplacement Keys..