Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Help Please!!

Old 05-22-2013, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please!!

Well im new to the forum but i was really hoping someone could help me out with this recently i bought a 2001 f150 single cab short bed 4x4 i got a really good deal on it cause the check engine light was on and the 180k miles.... anyway the light was due to oxygen sensors so i bought it then after a couple days i was playing with it offroad and i happened to break something now every time i accelerate from a stop the truck has no power i can floor it and it will barely budge it takes almost 30 seconds to get up to 40mph i took it to the mechanic i always take my mustang to and he says he cant figure it out now its been in there for almost 3 weeks and hes not even touching it anymore whenever i ask he says hes too busy or still cant figure it out can anyone tell me if theyve ever had a problem with acceleration like that it drives fine when up to speed but just not accelerating also its a 4.2 v6 with an automatic tranny if that helps sorry for the long post guys but i dont know what to do now
Old 05-22-2013, 06:05 PM
F150 Manic

Received 112 Likes on 111 Posts

Get a new mechanic
Old 05-22-2013, 08:33 PM
Will work for parts

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

+1
Old 05-22-2013, 08:39 PM
Street Queen in the Mud

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Any check engine lights? Any sounds? Are you getting spark at all the plugs? Does it feel like its missing at all? Fuel pressure? Did any water get pulled into the air intake?
Old 05-22-2013, 08:41 PM
NOM NOM NOM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 4x4wolf
Get a new mechanic
+2
And learn to write sentences. I can't tell what the heck the problem is. Mainly because the post is unreadable.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:47 PM
Street Queen in the Mud

Originally Posted by skizriz
+2
And learn to write sentences. I can't tell what the heck the problem is. Mainly because the post is unreadable.

TRANSLATION:

Well I'm new to the forum but i was really hoping someone could help me out. I recently bought a 2001 f150 single cab short bed 4x4. I got a really good deal on it cause the check engine light was on and it has 180k miles....

Anyway the light was due to oxygen sensors so i bought it. After a couple days i was playing with it offroad, i happened to break something. Now every time i accelerate from a stop the truck has no power, i can floor it and it will barely budge it takes almost 30 seconds to get up to 40mph. I took it to the mechanic i always take my mustang to, and he says he cant figure it out. Now its been in there for almost 3 weeks and hes not even touching it anymore whenever i ask he says hes too busy or still cant figure it out. Can anyone tell me if theyve ever had a problem with acceleration like that it drives fine when up to speed but just not accelerating? Also its a 4.2 v6 with an automatic tranny if that helps. sorry for the long post guys but i dont know what to do now
The following 3 users liked this post by SR2K:
2002FX4 (05-23-2013), skizriz (05-22-2013), sumidor063 (05-22-2013)
Old 05-22-2013, 09:06 PM
NOM NOM NOM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SR2K
TRANSLATION:

Well I'm new to the forum but i was really hoping someone could help me out. I recently bought a 2001 f150 single cab short bed 4x4. I got a really good deal on it cause the check engine light was on and it has 180k miles....

Anyway the light was due to oxygen sensors so i bought it. After a couple days i was playing with it offroad, i happened to break something. Now every time i accelerate from a stop the truck has no power, i can floor it and it will barely budge it takes almost 30 seconds to get up to 40mph. I took it to the mechanic i always take my mustang to, and he says he cant figure it out. Now its been in there for almost 3 weeks and hes not even touching it anymore whenever i ask he says hes too busy or still cant figure it out. Can anyone tell me if theyve ever had a problem with acceleration like that it drives fine when up to speed but just not accelerating? Also its a 4.2 v6 with an automatic tranny if that helps. sorry for the long post guys but i dont know what to do now
Ahhhhhhhhh.......Now I understand.

What was the exact code it was throwing for the oxygen sensor??
Did you ever replace the sensor??
Is it throwing any more codes now??

Engine missing?? Or just a general lack of power??

Did you happen to swamp it in a deep water hole when you were "playing" off road. I take "playing" to mean you were simply out thrashing the p!$$ out of it.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i wouldn't say i beat the hell out of it off road just a little puddle of mud didn't even cover half the tires. Anyway the codes were oxygen sensor 1 and oxygen sensor 2 i was told it wasn't a problem and i don't need to replace them, however after i "played" with it and took it to the mechanic he said he pulled up 30 codes 5 of them being transmission codes.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:43 PM
Street Queen in the Mud

Well I would start by looking at those 30 codes, thats one of the best indications of what could be wrong.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:52 PM
Ford Owner

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts

This sounds like the EGR valve is stuck or the pipe from the manifold to the EGR is clogged up. Clean the EGR valve and run a wire through the pipe to make sure it if free of obstructions. I strongly recommend that you never leave a vehicle with a mechanic that is not fixing your vehicle. If he does not know what the problem is, take your truck back. If he gives you a hard time about it, call he police. If he tries to hold you up and demand an unreasonable amount of money, call the police, pay him, take your truck back, get the police report,and sue the guy.

Search this Thread