Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

HELP! Major Decision! 4.6 Threw a rod?

Old 05-01-2009, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Major Decision! 4.6 Threw a rod?

Let me start by saying I love this forum and have followed it for years, but I just joined because I am desperate. I have a 2001 XLT Regular cab 4x4 with around 130k miles on it. I purchased the truck in december of '06 and it dropped a valve into number 1 piston. Used car dealer split the cost of the repair totaling 2400 and I keep the piston in the truck like a battle scar.
Last weekend I thought it was running just a little slow and I thought it was the AC making it sluggish. First time I turned AC on all year. About an hour trip to head home, and about ten minutes away POWPOWPOWPOWPOW under the hood. Blew the number three plug out and pushed the coil into the fuel rail. I disabled fuel for that cylinder and limped in to auto parts store to try to thread new plug. No bite. At mechanic's a couple of days later, helicoil in place, he heard a noise and backed the new plug out and the gap was closed! This happened to the plug I pulled out too! His diagnosis was that the bearing on the crankshaft for that piston was shot allowing too much travel thus hitting the plug. He says I need a new motor because of the rebuild that has already happened two years ago. I LOVE THIS TRUCK. I mean it. Flawless paint, amazing offroad clearance, power everything. Very capable. I do not have 5000 dollars for a new Jasper motor. Also, I still owe 2700. ARGH! Any other options? Please? Don't want to salvage and pay off loan.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Redneck engineerin'

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you thought about getting a second opinion or looking at a used motor? Sounds like you have a great truck and hate to see it go. Explore all your options.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have thought about a used motor and I'm combing my local resources here in WNC. The bigger question: could it be anything else at all? Second opinion is good idea. Afraid to drive it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP! Major Decision! 4.6 Threw a rod?