Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

HELP! FORD OEM Exhaust Manifold-Connector XL3Z9F485AA ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 02:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default HELP! FORD OEM Exhaust Manifold-Connector XL3Z9F485AA ?

Can anyone tell me if I can get this part in stainless steel or brass. The stealer-ship wants $33.00+ tax fore a small mild steel part that will rust out and seize. Is it available from a plumbing dept. or other with the same threads as the OE Ford FORD OEM Exhaust Manifold-Connector XL3Z9F485AA part? I'm going to be installing it between a new OE SS EGR tube and some new SS shorty headers and would prefer to be able to disconnect them down the road if need be w/o it falling apart and clogging up or ruining the threads of the other 2 connecting parts?

Thanks.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:40 PM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

Your headers should have come with the adapter. I know with my long tubes it cames with them. Also you wont be able to find it at a pipe store.. Just buy it and uses some copper antiseize an you shouldnt have a problem.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:36 PM

Received 5,544 Likes on 4,622 Posts

Yea the adapter is a Ford factory part, I doubt or have ever seen a header set come with them BUT, I know Dorman sells the same adapters now ...zinc'ed in fact. If you found one at a delearship, your lucky as hell as they were nonexistent about 6 years ago. Dorman didn't even have them. Both header jobs I've done in the past required going to the salvage yard and wrenching a few off. Hell I'm not even sure what your talking about fully OP, - I hope this correct, I can't think of another problem so I guess I'll carry on lol.

If its the EGR adapter itself , yea, I attempted to use pipe NPT brass, - it won't seal right and leak like a biatch and it's not dissimilar metal thing because I tried steel as well - see here,

This was one of the brass attempts, big fail -

BTW - 3/4" fits well ^^^^ Yes it's metric but 3/4" is almost identical in inches.

The pipe fitting needed depends on whether its a 4six tube or 5four tube..yea, they CAN be different. I believe the 4sic uses 18mm thread vs 19mm from what I recall.

Here's one of the adapters for the 5four configuration, the flanged pipe needs to be clamped, compressed into the inner adapter flange which comes naturally with the correctly machined part. Realize this, from a machining aspect, it's worth dealership cost. Ford used a steel part and either powder coated or used zinc phosphate.

Here's a used part with some of that coating left, - It will come coated from the dealertship IF you can find one. But it looks a dorman might fit you situation. Just know a dealership part in much more protected with the methods I explained. The Dorman part will be Yellow Zinced or Cadmium coated which is barely better than nothing considering the heat the part will be under.

However, there is one product that's great for corrosion problems under that much heat. Coat the adapter in Caylx, -

http://www.tptools.com/Calyx-Manifol...html?b=d*12755

The only adapter that worked, -

Old 08-09-2015, 05:30 AM

Yes, it's the connector between the exhaust manifold and the EGR tube. I called all the auto parts stores and they don't have or even list one. The local Ford dealer says they have one, I'd have to ask them to do a hands-on for me over the phone. Why no one carries such a common part is beyond me, every time someone pulls one of these things apart they're going to need one. Any amount of time, heat, and moister will rust one out, especially with road salt thrown at it for years. Well, I guess I better snap one up if I can find one that's not outrageously priced. I even looked it up on the Dorman site and they only list it for the 4.6 and 4.2 L, not the 5.4L on the 03' F150. Does that make any sense?

It's for my 98' F-150 which I'm swapping a salvaged 03' PI LB & manifold into leaving the 98's electronics to run it as I've been told before will work, maybe getting a tune to best utilize it's power and efficiency after it's up and running, on my "Engine Switch post". I've located an OE Ford XL3Z9D477BA EGR tube for half price to work with it. My JBA 1679SJT shorties are listed to fit 98' - 03' 5.4's so the port must be located in the same place and with the same threads as all those model years are and should fit the newer and lower placed 03' plastic intake manifold.

It looks like this:
Attached Images   

Last edited by Tractive55LS; 08-09-2015 at 06:27 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:23 AM

Here is another picture (off Google images) of the OE fitting installed, and the EGR port on the/my new JBA 1679 SJT shorty headers:
(A) is the EGR tube. (B) is the EGR connector.
HELP! FORD OEM Exhaust Manifold-Connector XL3Z9F485AA ?-egr.jpg
Attached Thumbnails HELP! FORD OEM Exhaust Manifold-Connector XL3Z9F485AA ?-dscf3612.jpg   HELP! FORD OEM Exhaust Manifold-Connector XL3Z9F485AA ?-dscf3613.jpg  

Last edited by Tractive55LS; 08-09-2015 at 06:30 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:06 PM

Received 5,544 Likes on 4,622 Posts

That's good it's stainless. They didn't use to be. Anyway well disregard my info. There is two different 5four set ups. I used the newer set up. Ford changed it sometime in 2000-2002. They discontinued the original 98 design because they didn't last. The new set up had a different adapter, different EGR pipe, but of better design. That's what I went with and it was a good move. I can still, 8 years later just crack the pipe loose top and bottom and the rest will loosen by hand, - making it very easy to remove the pipe completely. Yea, it just slipped my mind momentarily...my bad.

So the adapter I posted is the new design. It threads directly into the header. The EGR pipe itself has a male fitting vs female and that threads into the adapter. Anyway, sawry for the confusion.

My last picture was the newer design complete.

Last edited by Jbrew; 08-09-2015 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:30 PM

The OE Ford part I posted above is not stainless to my knowledge, I'll have to see it in person. I just found one for $26.00 free shipping. We'll see what it's made of when I get it.

Quick Reply: HELP! FORD OEM Exhaust Manifold-Connector XL3Z9F485AA ?