Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Heater Problem? No heat!

Old 02-22-2012, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Heater Problem? No heat!

I have a 2002 F150 XLT with the 4.6L V8. I don't have any heat at all, A/C works fine.

I found that the heater core was completely bypassed, basically it looks like hoses were cut and put together somehow. I don't know what for, if it's clogged or leaking.

I also don't know if there is a heater control valve that is supposed to be hooked up in the engine bay.

So what would be recommended? Just pitch out the old heater core and get a replacement or should I test the current one? If I test it, how would I go about doing that?

If I need should have to replace my heater core are there some really good step by step instructions on how to get to the heater core and replace it? I already understand that this will take some dismantling of the dash.

I'll get some pictures posted tomorrow on what I'm dealing with in the engine bay.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Replacing the heater cores in these trucks suck. I think it's coolant or something. Basically if it's leaking it needs replaced. Sounds like you need just to flush it. I'd start with that since its cheaper than a core. A ford heater core at cost is roughly $130-145
Old 02-22-2012, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by 01KingRanch
Replacing the heater cores in these trucks suck. I think it's coolant or something. Basically if it's leaking it needs replaced. Sounds like you need just to flush it. I'd start with that since its cheaper than a core. A ford heater core at cost is roughly $130-145
That price doesn't sound right, I found heater cores for my 2002 for around 30-40 bucks at rockauto.com, that's why I was thinking about doing that.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:13 PM

Yeah heater cores are about 40-50 bucks it's labor that's expensive if you don't do it yourself. You have to pull the entire dash to get to it and also if it's bypassed it obviously has a problem.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:38 AM

Bump... To see what everyone thinks.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:45 PM

Here's some pictures of what I'm dealing with, I'm not sure what hose I'm going to need specifically to get everything connected again when I replace the heater core. I think I found a place for good instructions but
I can't seem to find it again, because I am all about doing my own work and saving a butt ton of money doing it. Also need to know what hose I need to complete the job, because I'm not sure what I have in the pictures.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:46 PM

Well I finally changed the heater core myself, took a couple of days for me to do it taking my time. But I got it done. Ended up having to do some odd things.

5/8 to 3/4 adaptors when connecting the heater core hose to the engine. I thought that was odd. Either way my connections are all good, no leaks and I have good heat.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:42 PM
Sh!tllbuffout

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by gryffinwings
I have a 2002 F150 XLT with the 4.6L V8. I don't have any heat at all, A/C works fine.

I found that the heater core was completely bypassed, basically it looks like hoses were cut and put together somehow. I don't know what for, if it's clogged or leaking.

I also don't know if there is a heater control valve that is supposed to be hooked up in the engine bay.

So what would be recommended? Just pitch out the old heater core and get a replacement or should I test the current one? If I test it, how would I go about doing that?

If I need should have to replace my heater core are there some really good step by step instructions on how to get to the heater core and replace it? I already understand that this will take some dismantling of the dash.

I'll get some pictures posted tomorrow on what I'm dealing with in the engine bay.
Sooooo, not wanting to start a new thread when this ones relevant, I had to bypass my heater core due to excessive leaking into cab floor and on the road.

I was mainly wondering if I could still use my A/C with the bypass? I almost hope I cant since I havent been in this Ca. heat. It was 108 a couple of weeks ago. Thanks all.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:38 PM

Received 5,527 Likes on 4,611 Posts

Your own thread would have been much less confusing and easier all around.

Much better then dragging up an old one. Since people tend to start from the beginning and miss the date or don't notice right away.

Why not a new thread, is it fear?

Anyway, - new it had to be an old one, since it was no-heat related lol.

Last edited by Jbrew; 08-13-2016 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:22 PM
Sh!tllbuffout

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbrew
Your own thread would have been much less confusing and easier all around.

Much better then dragging up an old one. Since people tend to start from the beginning and miss the date or don't notice right away.

Why not a new thread, is it fear?

Anyway, - new it had to be an old one, since it was no-heat related lol.
Well ill bet ya a sixer that i dont have heat.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heater Problem? No heat!