Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

headlight adjustment question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight adjustment question...

just wondering if anybody knew the proper adjustment height for headlights. i have stock lights and they were a little off, so i decided to align them as best i could. anybody know how far away from a wall you have to be and how high up off the ground the lights should shine? i parked my truck about 15 feet away from the garage door and i measured roughly 4 feet from center of headlamp to center of headlamp, and i got that adjusting them. aside from that, i think they are actually aimed a bit on the low side. any advice would be helpful. thanks.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:08 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Know exactly what you are trying to do. Naturally there is a headlight aiming kit that conforms to DOT guidelines. Don't you have one in your hip pocket? Best advise to offer up is to compare your headlight adjustment to another. Position each vehicle vehicle in the same location and adjust yours accordingly. Think 15 feet away from reflective wall is to far, need to be closer. Another thing to consider is the comparison vehicle should be the same. Not your truck compared to an Esccort.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:25 PM
F-Series Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha, I just went through this with my new headlights. I got clear headlights (Lightening Style) to compliment my new HID's and it was a lot of adjusting. First I parked my truck about 8ft. away from a wall and used my brothers Ram as a comparison. Well, I got out on a dark street and could only see about 10 feet in front of my truck with 8k HID's! haha, try to test with another F150 or have your dealership do it, my local dealership does it for free. Too bad I didn't know that until after I went through the hassel of adjusting them. It took me about an hour to get it right and now I can see again.. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
bamagrad00 (06-28-2012)
Old 09-21-2008, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stuff I've been reading online about it says to pull your vehicle up to the wall and make draw 3 markers (masking tape?) one to signify the centerline of the vehicle, and two crosses at the centers of the headlights. Then back your self up straight 25 feet (I found this for HID aiming). The headlights naturally make a circular pattern and you want the tops of the pattern to line up with the horizontals of the crosses, and centered on the vehicle left to right.

Here's a link to a PDF I found. Hope it works Click Me

Quick Reply: headlight adjustment question...