Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

HD Tail Light Housing

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 03:08 AM
zap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HD Tail Light Housing

After recently installing some LED tail lights into my headache rack, it reinforced an old idea I had. A while back I was looking at a LMC catalog and noticed the relocation panels for the tail lights. Got me thinking...what if you welded some tabs on to those so they bolt up like normal tail lights, cut holes in them for your standard 6.5"x2.25" oval STT lights, ribbed everything else, and then painted to match or stand out depending on the truck colors. Certainly a cheap way to do an LED conversion as you can get the lights for less than $50. I know it wouldn't look factory good...but it would sure be hard to break them. Plus, with a little time and some sheet metal you could actually make the relocation panels yourself. Any thoughts/opinions? It would set the rear lighting up more like your standard utility/flatbed truck.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like the idea! make for a heavy duty tail light setup if you built it that way.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:42 PM
zap

I actually got the idea from this since I've broken a few XJ tail lights on the trails.
Attached Images  
Old 08-07-2011, 11:15 PM

thats pretty clean... I think something like that would probably flow better with the truck bed lines.. My own opinion but thinking with some of the round LEDs from the semi truck trailers could do a nice 2 or 3 light setup. Also, not knowing what kind of LEDs are out there now, im sure there are tons of designs and shapes, could do something that looked cooler. Functionality wise those will get the job done and wont have to worry about getting a busted housing out on a trail or in the parking lot at wally world. Off to bed i go.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:06 AM
zap

The standard on trailers are 4" round, 6" round, 3"x5" or the 6" oval. I have the 6" oval on my headache rack and I think it would be the best fitting with a 2" round backup underneath (not easy to find).
Old 08-08-2011, 02:30 PM

could recess the lights in the housing would be time consuming but then could lay the lights out in the patterns you wanted. Maybe some clear heavy duty glue of some sort.. going to go see if i can find an extra LED light up in our warehouse will take it apart see how hard it would be. big if on us having one just laying around will post some pics of it apart if so.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:49 PM
zap

I've seen that done on a few xterras, but you'd still be using the 5mm LED's verus the 12mm you find in trailer lights. Plus you have to add resistors to keep from burning out the LED's as well as to get the flasher to flash correctly. If you don't have enough resistance, the flasher will flash really fast and off beat. Lot of work and I guess depending on where your skills are it could seem like more work.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:04 PM

can you show a picture of the lights you already have?
Old 08-08-2011, 09:07 PM

i found this...

On this site: http://www.pashnit.com/hayabusa-mods.htm
Attached Images  
Old 08-08-2011, 09:09 PM

dont know what kind of quality these are...

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...rake-turn.html

Quick Reply: HD Tail Light Housing