Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Hard starting, Tune up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hard starting, Tune up?

It rained all night last night here in Northern Cal. This morining I started my 99 F150 with no problem and drove to an ATM to get cash. When I got back in the truck it did not want to start. It cranked ok but acted like it was out of gas. It was low on fuel but not out, the low fuel light had not come on yet. A couple of times it almost hit but died instantly. After sitting for a few minutes it started. The truck has a 4.2 V6 with 133K on it. I'm thinking it may be time for a tune up. I stopped to get gas and left it idling (which is something I normally don't do) then continued on to work. When I parked at work I shut it off and it restarted ok. This is my first Ford truck, it has been very reliable and I am hoping that I just need to do a tune up. What consitutes a good tune up on this pickup? Is there anything in particular that I should look at? Thanks

Rick
Old 09-14-2009, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When was the last time you did, an oil change and filter change, spark plug change, and how old is the battery and alternator?
Old 09-14-2009, 01:46 PM

Since I'm at work I don't have my book with me. I write down everything inside the cover, whether I do it or a shop does it. The oil and filter is changed every 5000, thats coming up. I have not changed my own plugs. I'll have to check but I'm fairly sure a shop did that. Sorry if I sound out of sorts, alot on my mind these days. As for the battery, I have not changed it. I'll look to see if there is some sort of date on it. I've owned the truck for three years now. The alternator is from Auto Zone, I bought one with a life time warranty. I had to change it once already because the last one had a bad bearing that was noisy and drove me nuts. Besides changing plugs what else might I look at? It has some sort of electronic ignition. Sorry I'm a newbie to F150s so I'm not at all familar with it. Thanks. I'm pretty sure that it is just trying to tell me I need to do routine maint.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:02 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

If condition happens again, check for spark and for fuel. Lets see if we can find what is missing?
Old 09-14-2009, 04:22 PM

Thanks, I probably just need to put in some fresh plugs. My gas was a bit low this morning. Anyone here ever run fuel injector cleaner through their system? Hope I don't have an electrical problem, I'm not that good at that and the components are costly.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:02 PM

Sounds like it might be your sparg plugs, If they haven't been changed in three years, they may be done.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:58 AM

As soon as I can I'll put in new plugs. I'll take a look at my air filter and run some cleaner through the injectors. In my shop book it mentions a "special" tool for changing the fuel filter. Where can I get one? Or will a more common tool work to remove it? My manual only mentions Autolite spark plugs. Anyone here use something else? Whats a good one? Guess I can't complain about getting 47,000 out of some plugs.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:14 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Stay with the Ford Motorcraft plugs.

Fuel line disconnect tool can be purchased at auto parts. I prefer the K-D brand, its a scissors looking thing that isn't as easy to loose as the round type. Basically it a gismo that surrounds the filter line and is pushed in and under the garter spring to expand it. Pull line off.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:43 PM

I used autolite to change my plugs a few months ago nothing wrong with them so far.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:23 AM

Default Spark plugs

I called a dealer and found out the OEM plugs are $8.92 each. That is because they are 100K plugs. I located a supplier in Indiana that has
the stock Motorcraft plugs for $3.63 ea. I still have not had the time
to pull my plugs and look at them. Hope to do it tonight. I also found
the sissor tool from KD for pulling the fuel filter.

Quick Reply: Hard starting, Tune up?