Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Are glasspacks a good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Are glasspacks a good idea?

So im wanted to put some glasspacks on my truck i dont want it to be so load i get tickets im only 16 my insurance is high enoff as it is. My gfs dad is saying Thrush my dad is sayingg Cherry Bomb. wich would still have good flow? only thing im worried about. I was also thinking of Cherry Bomb extremes i dont wanna spend a hole lot on the exhaust. I know flow masters are really good but a little out my price range right now.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:52 PM

Received 185 Likes on 179 Posts

I'm in the same boat, 16 years old and of course wanting a loud truck. What size engine do you have? I have the 4.6 on stock exhaust, so there is no rumble unless you have your ear right to the exhaust pipe.

My buddy has a '98 F-150 with the 4.6L and he has the glasspack cherry bomb. With the truck idleing, sounds great, when he revs it up it sounds alright minus the popping when he lets off the gas, but around 45 mph it is just ridiculous, it sounds like a little honda with a cherry bomb (the really loud obnoxious non truck like sound).
Old 09-18-2014, 11:03 PM

I have a 98 its a 4.6 dont look as good as yours yet tho i will get there someday

In mine it doesnt sound bad u can hear the rumble from the cab everything is stock it was just a work truck i want it to sound better tho

my buddy has true duel trush cherry bombs on his chevy sounds amazing tho
Old 09-18-2014, 11:09 PM

Received 426 Likes on 323 Posts

Thrush and Cherry Bomb are both great for what they are and for the cost. Can't go wrong with either. (Not that I'd use them. I like quiet.)
Old 09-18-2014, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by KLuTcH98
I have a 98 its a 4.6 dont look as good as yours yet tho i will get there someday

In mine it doesnt sound bad u can hear the rumble from the cab everything is stock it was just a work truck i want it to sound better tho

my buddy has true duel trush cherry bombs on his chevy sounds amazing tho
Haha, looks are easy, I bought mine for work, then I discovered craigslist. The only things I bought out of a store was the lift kit and the wheels, everything else was from craigslist.

I think really any other muffler will work if you look at how huge ours is that is why our trucks are so quiet, its like they have a 50 gallon oil drum for a muffler. You can go the cheap way and poke a few holes in it and get the louder sound, or just get a smaller muffler, I think I might get the flow master 44.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:17 PM

See i really want mine lifted but i just dont have the money... how much did yours cost?
yeah im becomming pretty good with bondo haha
yeah i might just save up for them and put it on my slef to save a little.... the thing i dont like about glasspacks are the loss of pressure
Old 09-18-2014, 11:25 PM

Well, all in all it costed me about 1250 and 2 salmon (not including the repairs I had to do). The kit its self costed me 1k, and me and a couple friends installed it. I only gave them 250, but its kinda more of a I do something for them they do something for me circle. And the salmon, well that was dinner lol. Honestly before you spend 750 at a shop to do it look up videos on how to do it to save your self some money.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:34 PM

You deff got me thinking more about flowmasters its prob better think to do
is yours 4x4?
im only thinking of having this truck for acouple years till my insurance goes down and get a bigger truck and no RUST there is quite alot on this one it was road hard i wanna put stacks on my next truck
Old 09-18-2014, 11:44 PM

I am a 4x4.

I am honestly thinking about selling my truck and getting a ranger and a 350. I do haul a lot, so a 350 would be better for that but there are times where I just run down to the hardware store, so a ranger would be good. For now, I am just keeping my truck until I can but a brand new year to date truck (if my truck lasts that long).

The only thing I have against stacks is the fact that when you put a toolbox on it looks ridiculous lol.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:53 PM

Yeah and i mow yards for a living i guess and i want to get a toolbox to lock stuff in the back. I like diesels my dad had a 350 just everything is alot more expensive tho im not gonna do a hole lot to this truck just bc of the condition its in its my first truck tho

Quick Reply: Are glasspacks a good idea?