Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Getting rid of cats?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Getting rid of cats?

I was considering cutting out my cats to do a quick opening up on my exhaust sytem. would this cause any major problems or anything? I would imagine I would need to reinstall my 02 sensors. same areas or where?

thanks
Old 04-15-2009, 01:23 PM
^ drinks KC Tea

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I cut out 2 of my cats about a month ago and so far no problems or check enginelight and it sounds great. I put the o2 sensors back in the same place and I put a cherry bomb glass pack on too. Also ask 7700 in Alberta. He cut his out his about a week ago and says he loves it. I didn't really notice a power loss either. Hope this helps
Old 04-15-2009, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by mrpomerleau
I cut out 2 of my cats about a month ago and so far no problems or check enginelight and it sounds great. I put the o2 sensors back in the same place and I put a cherry bomb glass pack on too. Also ask 7700 in Alberta. He cut his out his about a week ago and says he loves it. I didn't really notice a power loss either. Hope this helps
which two? I cant remember, but i want to say i have 4?
any improvement on power or mpg?
Old 04-15-2009, 01:37 PM
Redneck engineerin'

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

You do have 4 cats. Two up front and two towards the middle. Most people cut out the back two.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:09 PM
^ drinks KC Tea

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had 2 longer cats and 2 elbow type cats and I cut out the longer ones the elbow ones would have sucked lol. Mine wouldn't unbolt from the manifold. Mileage Is a little better but I'm not 100% sure cuz I haven't completely filled my tank since I cut them out lol. and the power is lpretty much the same maybe a little better but the sound is amazing

Last edited by Mike; 04-15-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:30 PM

dude i would not realy worry bout the cats they dont make a huge difference in sound i had a trans am that had a dump instead of a cat i was crushed when i had to put cats on for inspection but it really duz not make to much of a difference but my current truck that i drive right now has a flow master cut off under the cab i have cats but i put most trucks exaust to shame and its leagal do you have exauhst already
Old 04-15-2009, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Murph45
dude i would not realy worry bout the cats they dont make a huge difference in sound i had a trans am that had a dump instead of a cat i was crushed when i had to put cats on for inspection but it really duz not make to much of a difference but my current truck that i drive right now has a flow master cut off under the cab i have cats but i put most trucks exaust to shame and its leagal do you have exauhst already
I did a cat back exhaust myself with a mandrell. I have the duals now, but also condidering doing true duals.

Trending Topics

Old 04-15-2009, 04:47 PM

unless you have high flow cats, then yes it makes a huge difference in sound and performance, i have all cats removed running shorties hpipe and true duals and i guarantee mine is 10times as loud as yours with cats, and if you do remove the rear 2 it will help sound and GM, make sure O2's are put back, if you remove all 4 you will have to get tune
Old 04-16-2009, 10:20 AM

well i just know that i didnt do much to my trans am a little but bearly but idk were yall are from but in texas we have to have cats its really not an option for us we cant get inspection without them so we make our trucks louder in different ways

Last edited by Murph45; 04-16-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:20 PM
will run you OVER

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

well i just know that i didnt do much to my trans am a little but bearly but idk were yall are from but in texas we have to have cats its really not an option for us we cant get inspection without them so we make our trucks louder in different ways

so we can have just 2 high-flows right? and rip out all four for just the two and as long as she passes emmisions were good? just making sure before i get in trouble

Quick Reply: Getting rid of cats?