Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

gas cap light

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas cap light

the gas cap light on my truck has been on constantly for the past couple of days. ive replaced the cap, but no luck. any other reason why it would be doing this?
Old 10-05-2010, 07:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since when do vehicles have a gas cap light? The only thing i've ever seen is the check engine or svs light come on when the cap is off or bad. But even if it is throwing that code it could be evap not just the cap.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:19 PM

idk man...thats what it is though, looked it up in the book. and alright, how much of a pain is that gonna be to fix?
Old 10-06-2010, 01:09 AM

k i believe you that its a gas cap light then. Well if a new cap didnt fix it, start by looking for leaks in the filler hose. if thats good then it possible a clogged evap canister, which is very common on any truck especially if driven a lot or gravel. They are pretty easy to fix, but the parts will be a lil spendy. If you are confident in you mechanical ability you can try cleaning out all the evap hoses and blowing out the canister. that sometimes helps.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:43 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

wth is a gas cap light..
Old 10-06-2010, 03:41 PM

lol exactly what i was thinking, im just guessing he means the ses light and a code relating to the evap.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:24 PM

ok, i tried to take a pic with my phone, but i cant figure out how to upload it. but the light is supposed to tell you when you do not replace the fuel cap. not really a "i told you so person" but it is what it is. lol. and thanks for the advice ill have ti check it out. normally i wouldnt bother with it, but my truck has been runnin rougher since it has come on and it isnt throwing any other codes.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:41 PM

at least your truck has a gas cap, wish mine had one.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:23 PM
Geek-a-saurus Rex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jam021
ok, i tried to take a pic with my phone, but i cant figure out how to upload it. but the light is supposed to tell you when you do not replace the fuel cap. not really a "i told you so person" but it is what it is. lol. and thanks for the advice ill have ti check it out. normally i wouldnt bother with it, but my truck has been runnin rougher since it has come on and it isnt throwing any other codes.
Don't worry about sounding like you're saying "I told you so" I really want to see it too, I've never seen that light before and, to me, it's always cool when I learn something new about my truck.

As far as posting a picture from your cell phone, what kind of phone do you have? I might be able to help, if it's a blackberry or other smart phone you can send it to your email on your computer then upload it to photobucket to get it on here. (check the "how to use photobucket thread) If it's not a smart phone you could text the picture. I'll PM you my phone number if you wanna try it that way. Just let me know.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:30 PM

ive got the env touch, and i sent it to an online album but i have no idea how to access it. lol. but if you can upload the pics ill send them to you. and i didnt realize how unique it was, but google images didnt even have a pic of the light. lol.

Quick Reply: gas cap light