Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

FYI: Leaking Back Windows

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 03:31 PM
JRV

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default FYI: Leaking Back Windows

I've read numerous posts on here about leaking back windows on our trucks. Mine too started the terrible leak, so I took it in to see if they could reseal it like many had said, and said it is cheap.

Turns out, the slider window has a one-piece plastic frame around it. These get brittle and crack, causing the back glass to leak. If your frame breaks, unfortunately the only way to stop the leak is to replace the whole back window. They can try a 'plastic weld' but the frame is likely to just come apart there again, or the frame will simply crack in another spot. Some are lucky and the frame doesn't crack. Sometimes that epoxy they put around the window develops a leak, and all they will need to do is reseal it.

Myself, I'm replacing the slider with a fixed back window. The glass shop told me that they would guarantee the glass from leaking. So if any of you develop this leak, find out where the water is coming in. Check to see if the thin strip of plastic you can see from inside the cab is cracked or not. If it is, either prepare for a new back window, or get used to the musty smell of rainwater soaking your back seat and carpet

The glass shop said they had seen NUMEROUS F-150's...he thought into the 100's, with this problem. He said it was something that Ford should have recalled, because so many of them end up doing it. Oh well, even though my truck can be a PITA sometimes, I sure love my F-150!

Hope this helps some guys figure out why theirs is leaking!

Last edited by JRV; 08-07-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not the only thing that leaks

Yes, the rear window on the F150 is notorious for leaking but they also built a large number of F150's with a leaking front window. This leak, right from the manufacturer, will slowly leak water into your electronics. While you are busy replacing shorting GEM's, windshield motors, etc, the real problem is that the front window leaks. Ford knew this at least back in 2002 and did not issue a notice to consumers or a recall. And if contacted - might as well talk to the moon. But then Henry Ford was a **** supporter and anti-semitic - I guess they are just carrying on his policies of shafting people. I've had two F150's and even though not perfect, my next truck is a Toyota - at least they do recalls. for more visit www.fordf150news.wordpress.com

Quick Reply: FYI: Leaking Back Windows