Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Fuel pump won't turn on

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 10:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fuel pump won't turn on

Hello,

My '02 Screw, 104k, 5.4L sat in storage for the winter. I tried starting it for the first time (Since Nov) last week but the battery was shot, charged it but it still wasn't enough to start it, but it caused all kinds of clicking noises to come from the inside fuse box and made the gauges swing up and down. Installed a new battery today, it turns over but the hum/buzz that normally comes from the fuel pump is absent. I tried wacking the fuel tank with a rubber mallet, nothing, jumped fuel pump relay sockets 87 and 30, nothing, inertia switch was okay, fuel was present on fuel rail when Schrader valve was depressed. Anything else I should check before I call AAA?
Old 04-17-2016, 02:40 PM

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts

Fuse?
Old 04-17-2016, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by FallGuy44
Fuse?
Thanks! I didn't mention it but I previously checked all of the fuel pump related fuses, they were all good.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:33 PM

Received 91 Likes on 86 Posts

Deleted
Old 04-17-2016, 07:25 PM
Ford Owner

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts

When you turn on the ignition, do you hear the pump come on for a couple of seconds? If yes, when you crank the engine, do you get fuel at the fuel rail? If no on the fuel pump coming on when you turn on the key, I would first check to see if you are getting power to the fuel pump.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Frank_Ford
When you turn on the ignition, do you hear the pump come on for a couple of seconds? If yes, when you crank the engine, do you get fuel at the fuel rail? If no on the fuel pump coming on when you turn on the key, I would first check to see if you are getting power to the fuel pump.
Hey Frank, the pump does not come on at all. The same thing happened last spring after storage. With the help of two friends, we lifted the bed off in order to drop the fuel tank and replace the fuel pump, which I thought was the problem. However, this is a crewcab and the pump is underneath the rear cab, non of the online articles mention this Aggravated, and just for the hell of it, I tried cranking it and the pump came on and it ran! Who knows what took place that day. I just crawled under the truck and jiggled the connector that connects the fuel pump leads to the main wiring harness but no luck. I'm calling triple A now, suppose to go fishing tomorrow but not anymore

Quick Reply: Fuel pump won't turn on