Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Fuel pump? help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 12:39 PM

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts

Default Fuel pump? help.

1998 4.2 In very good condition 150k miles. Only thing ever done to it is brakes batteries and plugs. This morning cruising at 30mph it just shut off on me. No sputter or misfire just cut off. Motor turns but will not start. Not even an attempt to start just turns. I do not have time to look at it until weekend. My first guess is fuel pump. Any tHoughts? Is there a way to check a fuel pump without pressure tester? Also is fuel pump in the gas tank? thanks
Old 09-29-2015, 12:41 PM
2003 F-150 King Ranch

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 1968dave
1998 4.2 In very good condition 150k miles. Only thing ever done to it is brakes batteries and plugs. This morning cruising at 30mph it just shut off on me. No sputter or misfire just cut off. Motor turns but will not start. Not even an attempt to start just turns. I do not have time to look at it until weekend. My first guess is fuel pump. Any tHoughts? Is there a way to check a fuel pump without pressure tester? Also is fuel pump in the gas tank? thanks
turn the key on and listen for the fuel pump. If you don't hear it try smacking the gas tank with something. It might start working. Then it's the pump
The following users liked this post:
1968dave (09-29-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 04:51 PM

Received 797 Likes on 577 Posts

Yes the fuel pump attaches to the top of the tank and sits down in it. Pretty easy to replace
1968dave (09-29-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by fordguy2100
Yes the fuel pump attaches to the top of the tank and sits down in it. Pretty easy to replace
I haven't check yet but is it a tough job to drop the tank? Later I am going to check Youtube videos and see if I can find instructions.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Not a hard job, just do it with an empty tank so it doesn't weigh a ton. Disconnect your filler neck with 2 clamps. Then 6 or so bolts that hold up the skid guard. two straps hold up the tank and are held in by 1 bolt each (bolts on right side of straps, left side you just rotate the strap 90 degrees to get out). slowly lower the tank and disconnect lines as required.
Alternatively the beds pull really easy on these so long as your bed bolts don't strip. They're T55 Torq's bolts, the short bed has 6 and the long bed as 8. Take those out, disconnect your wiring harness to your rear lights, and disconnect your filler neck. Then you and a couple friends should have no difficulty lifting the bed (4 people is not even a strenuous lift). When i removed my bed we strapped it to a backhoe though since we had it.

-Kirk

Last edited by kirklandkie; 09-29-2015 at 08:35 PM.
1968dave (09-29-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 06:44 PM
Complete Asshat

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

Quick thing to check first (because it happened to me) is the little clip that holds the connector onto the coil pack can break or be broken and if it falls off, you lose all spark and your truck just dies. They're right on top of engine, so its easy to check.

If not, then the gas bleeder screw is the easiest way to check for pressure. Its really easy to see and access.
1968dave (09-29-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 07:54 PM

Received 797 Likes on 577 Posts

I haven't check yet but is it a tough job to drop the tank? Later I am going to check Youtube videos and see if I can find instructions.
Kirk sums it up pretty well. If you have any other questions just ask.

Originally Posted by kirklandkie
Not a hard job, just do it with an empty tank so it doesn't weigh a ton. Disconnect your filler neck with 2 clamps. Then 6 or so bolts that hold up the skid guard. two straps hold up the tank and are held in by 1 bolt each (bolts on right side of straps, left side you just rotate the strap 90 degrees to get out). slowly lower the tank and disconnect lines as required.
Alternatively the beds pull really easy on these so long as your bed bolts don't strip. They're T55 Torq's bolts, the short bed has 6 and the long bed as 8. Take those out, disconnect your wiring harness to your rear lights, and disconnect your filler neck. Then you and a couple friends should have no difficulty lifting the bed (4 people is not even a strenuous lift). When i removed my bed we strapped it to a backhoe though since we has it.

-Kirk
1968dave (09-29-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by TLB4
Quick thing to check first (because it happened to me) is the little clip that holds the connector onto the coil pack can break or be broken and if it falls off, you lose all spark and your truck just dies. They're right on top of engine, so its easy to check.

If not, then the gas bleeder screw is the easiest way to check for pressure. Its really easy to see and access.

Thanks for all the info guys. I will check the coil pack, I know exactly what you are talking about. However, where is the bleeder screw located?
thanks

Quick Reply: Fuel pump? help.