Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Frying coils

Old 09-20-2015, 06:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Frying coils

Here's my scenario, I replaced all my coils and spark plugs at around 110000 to 115000! At around 125000 miles I noticed a coolant leak and had no idea a leak could develope at the intake manifold since it was made out of plastic. I went about close to year finally seeing a leak at the intake manifold.I was just refilling the coolant tank when it got low. I even saw a.coolant puddle in the engine valley. The leak has been fixed now for about 1.5 - 2 years. Since then I have replaced about 6 coils, maybe 7. Locations where I have replaced coils, 3 coils at #4, 2 at #1 and 1 at #5. Someone suggested maybe a heater hose where it connects to the firewall above #4 but they're fine. I haven't had any coolant leak for about 1.5 years. Any idea why my 5.4 is frying coils?
Old 09-20-2015, 06:55 PM

Received 143 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by texrider
Here's my scenario, I replaced all my coils and spark plugs at around 110000 to 115000! At around 125000 miles I noticed a coolant leak and had no idea a leak could develope at the intake manifold since it was made out of plastic. I went about close to year finally seeing a leak at the intake manifold.I was just refilling the coolant tank when it got low. I even saw a.coolant puddle in the engine valley. The leak has been fixed now for about 1.5 - 2 years. Since then I have replaced about 6 coils, maybe 7. Locations where I have replaced coils, 3 coils at #4, 2 at #1 and 1 at #5. Someone suggested maybe a heater hose where it connects to the firewall above #4 but they're fine. I haven't had any coolant leak for about 1.5 years. Any idea why my 5.4 is frying coils?
So texrider, if you would go back and re-read some of "your" past threads you started just maybe be able to solve the problems your having. On November 25 2012 you started a thread about coolant dripping off your bell housing. You start multiple threads pertaining to the same subject just re-worded. We are here to help each other out but damn man. Stop it.
You want it to be some type of gremlin but the truck has been leaking coolant for almost 3 years now and your surprised that coils are shorting out on your truck. It doesn't take much of a coolant leak to be blown violently around by the clutch fan to reak havoc on cop's. You probably still have not done a pressure test on the coolant system. What do you want us to help you with?
The following users liked this post:
Jbrew (10-03-2015)
Old 09-20-2015, 07:07 PM
Looking for a Henway.

Received 369 Likes on 301 Posts

What brand coils did you use? Motorcraft and Veston (sp) are the only 2 that last for the most part.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:34 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jstockert
So texrider, if you would go back and re-read some of "your" past threads you started just maybe be able to solve the problems your having. On November 25 2012 you started a thread about coolant dripping off your bell housing. You start multiple threads pertaining to the same subject just re-worded. We are here to help each other out but damn man. Stop it.
You want it to be some type of gremlin but the truck has been leaking coolant for almost 3 years now and your surprised that coils are shorting out on your truck. It doesn't take much of a coolant leak to be blown violently around by the clutch fan to reak havoc on cop's. You probably still have not done a pressure test on the coolant system. What do you want us to help you with?
This.
Oh and if it isn't coolant try checking the gap on your plugs. If it's way over gaped it can fry coils

-Kirk
Old 09-20-2015, 10:24 PM

Received 5,525 Likes on 4,610 Posts

Hi fellas,-

Sounds like common China coil knockoff issues. Since they have the worst in thermal protection. Not to mention worthless build magnets. Well not worthless I guess, these coils usually do last a little while. If your real lucky, you may get two years out of them.

As far as coolant leaks. Well, no model year posted so I won't get specific. Guess I'll leave that there vs explaining the different model problems for now.

Anyway, don't screw around with coils (COP system coils). Use OEM spec at the very least. As mentioned, that would be Motorcraft or Visteon.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Motorcrafts.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by texrider
Motorcrafts.
Then your either installing them incorrectly, using the wrong plugs, missing your inner fender wall guards or the PCM coil drivers are bad ( doubt that, since they usually either signal the coil or don't ). You could have low compression as well. That said, you could also be running knockoffs thinking you have the real deal. It has to be something of that nature. I've been screwing with these engines for a long time lol....your missing something (no pun intended).

Any word on your model year yet?
Old 10-03-2015, 02:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had water running down the plastic piece at the rear of the engine bay right into the rear passenger coil. After siliconing down that piece, we found one of the ground bolts was leaking water onto the same coil. If you don't have a coolant leak, take a hose to the cowl and see if you can see water dripping down into the cylinder.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by jstockert
Thought the name sounded familiar...good catch @jstockert.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Frying coils