Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Front Wheel Bearing Torque

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 02:57 PM
Minister

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Front Wheel Bearing Torque

'97 F-150 2WD.

Book says 12lbs then 30lbs while rotating etc.

?-Do U torque to 30lbs and then back off a 1/16" or one flat spot on the nut.

OR

Do U just leave it @ 30lbs and call it good.

The book doesn't say, just wanting field experience. I know it's not a Jeep but on my CJ we (CJ owners) have found it is best to back it off a 1/16" or the flat spot on the nut.

Thanks,
Jim

P.S. ALSO-do you re-torque after you drive the vehicle for say 50miles. I have found after installing new bearings/races that after the grease works it's self out some (so to speak) that the bearing/wheel is a little loose (6-12 O'clock position) even after setting the race fully.

Last edited by Rollbar; 08-15-2009 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:13 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Your CJ experience will just work fine on a Ford also. Snug it up to remove play and back off as needed to install cotter pin.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:45 PM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default My Procedure:

On all Ford vehicles I have owned I adjust the front wheel bearings thusly: Torque the spindle nut to ~15lb/ft and spin the wheel to set the bearing, then back off the nut 'til it's slightly loose without letting the wheel turn, then put as much finger torque on the nut as possible, align the nut locking cap with the bore in the spindle and insert the cotter pin. I don't bother to check the bearing after a run anymore...one has never loosened up.

BTW: I use with much success semi-synthetic (Valvoline) moly-lithium NLG1 multi-purpose grease in the wheel bearings....good stuff.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:57 PM
Minister

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I have done what the book says and set the final @ 30lbs and backed off a tad. I have gone through several bearings. I checked it today and the wheel was loose (6 to 12 position, 1/4" play) w/setting like the book. If I set it @ 15lbs then it will surly be loose. SO, for a trail before I replace the bearings for the kids trip to Bama I set the one loose wheel @ 30lbs. OR, am I looking @ this wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I am in the process of a frame off restore of my CJ ( www.street2mud.com/gallery ) and retrofitting some of the M-170 styles to it (1955) for the old look. I know how and have set bearings before even on my CJ @ 50lbs and backed off some w/good results but I can't figure out WHY the Ford is giving me problems.

Oh well, I'll replace all the old grease and use the molly stuff made for Fords etc. & we will see.

Quick Reply: Front Wheel Bearing Torque