Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

front wheel bearing 2000 f150

Old 11-12-2009, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default front wheel bearing 2000 f150

i'm getting a slight vibration and whining noise from the tires. like my
wheel bearing is going bad. has anybody had this go bad on this truck?
i don't think it's just the tires, it just started a couple of weeks ago.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:36 AM

My '01 SCrew did the same with worn tires and and a bad alignment. It was due tires anyway, so I bought Goodyear Wrangler RTS tires and alignment and the noise was gone. Thought I was in a new truck again. Hope this helps.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya I just replaced both front wheel hub assemblys on my truck, took about 1.5 hours hubs were $115.00 each, easy job really. Jack up the truck and check for the wheel having play, also rotate the wheel to see if you can hear the bearing grinding. I actually took my truck to a mechanic so I knew for sure It was the hub's then told him thanks alot, but I got this... saved about $500.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:53 AM

Same thing on mine about a year ago. You can determine pretty easily if it is the wheel bearing or not. All you have to do is drive down your street at about 25 mph. Then slightly swerve to the right and left. If the noise stops when you swerver right, the right wheel bearing is bad. Same for the left. If you still get a vibration, then it is someting else.

Just so you know, the new part for just the right side was $220. It is doeable on your own but could take awhile. Luckily for me the guy who diagnosed the problem changed it for $50. Only took him about 30 min.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sjwylie I'm actually pretty certain its is the opposite of what you said, if you turn one way and the sound goes away its the opposite side thats bad from the way you turned. The bearings get quiet when you put more weight on them. so turning left and sound going away actually means the right one is bad, and vice versa. This is how it was in my truck and I know which bearing was bad, the other just needed the ABS wheel speed sensor but I replaced the hub anyways. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Leeno
sjwylie I'm actually pretty certain its is the opposite of what you said, if you turn one way and the sound goes away its the opposite side thats bad from the way you turned. The bearings get quiet when you put more weight on them. so turning left and sound going away actually means the right one is bad, and vice versa. This is how it was in my truck and I know which bearing was bad, the other just needed the ABS wheel speed sensor but I replaced the hub anyways. Correct me if I'm wrong.
You are probably right, I couldn't exactly remember which way that worked. That was just a way to diagnose the wheel bearing being bad. After it's in the air and you wiggle the tire, you can really tell how bad it is.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:28 AM

Default bearing

no i did have a bad wheel bearing, after alot of beating and some heat i got the rotor free from the hub replaced the bearing and a tie rod end and all is good, upper ball joint is a little loose but that can wait till spring.
thanks for the tips.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: front wheel bearing 2000 f150