Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Front end vibration around 70mph (intermittent)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end vibration around 70mph (intermittent)

2002 F-150 6 cyl manual

I've had an issue lately of the front end vibrating wildly (thought I had a flat) and when I pulled over to look....nothing.

After restarting and heading down the interstate a bit, it started again. It starts out with light vibration and escalates as I keep going the same speed.

Things you need to know:

- I replaced all pads, rotors and greased hubs about 2 months ago.

- Last week I had it in the shop and had the idler & pitman arms replaced, parking brakes adjusted (the vibrations started after these repairs)

I left the truck with the same mechanic who did the aforementioned repairs today and he called to let me know my alignment was terrible (thanks a lot Firestone...) and my drive shaft was bent.

He is not 100% certain that either one of those things are definitely causing the vibrations, but I could definitely use some advice on what to do or history from people who may have been in this situation.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:40 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I doubt a bent driveshaft would cause front end vibration but I'm not an expert by any means. Check the tires themselves? A lot of times vibration is caused by a bad tire - it's a little more difficult to diagnose because everybody wants to sell you a tire!
Old 10-20-2009, 05:25 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Check the hubs. Too loose? When you had the pitman and Idler arms replaced did you get a front end alignment? Any other steering parts questionable? Jack up and support the rear end and place tranny in Neutral. Parking brake on. Wheels should not turn. parking brake off. Wheels should turn. If not they are not adjusted properly.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:26 AM
jamiedubs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

balanced tires? Have you hit anything hard? Could have warped a rotor? Check your bushings on your A arms make sure nothing is worn out

Quick Reply: Front end vibration around 70mph (intermittent)